imafan26
Mod

Re: 2023 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

It is 79 degrees now at 12:30. but it is muggy. The clouds have become increasingly thicker in the East and is moving westward. It is moving over my house. The storm center is due to pass about 30 miles south of South Point on the Big Island tonight. The Big Island and Maui County will get most of the rain as most of the moisture from the storm is north of its' center. The mountains of the Big Island will break up the storm more. The storm is moving at 21 mph and the winds are decreasing to about 45 mph. So, while Big island and all the east facing shores of all islands will take beating from the storm surge, it could be a lot worse. The big island will get about 6-8 inches of rain. The storm will be closest to Oahu Wednesday night. It is travelling on a westerly course so it will be farther away. We will get some of the wind, still only about 30-40 mph with higher gusts, and about a half inch of rain. Everything should clear out by Thursday.
Attachments
I can still see some patches of blue in the west
I can still see some patches of blue in the west
Thick clouds approaching from the East
Thick clouds approaching from the East

applestar
Mod

Stay safe! Hoping all preps keep you comfortable and there will be minimal damage for you and everyone else.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is still raining today. TV calls it training because rain follows the same path for several 100 miles like a train and drops a lot of rain in the same locations causing flooding. TV says, 7.8" to 3.3" of rain sense yesterday. Yesterdays storm was strange about 10 miles from reaching us lightning stopped and wind stopped but rain continued. Videos show a lot of damage, trees down, house with no roof, cars smashed from falling trees, people washed away by flooding water, people missing, 1000s with no electricity, roads washed out. TV is now saying 6" of rain per hours in some places but picture shows and says Total Rain. TV is showing more big storms & rain coming, all day. 7am and its almost dark outside clouds must be very thick. Oh well another day in tornado alley TN. Garden looks good, corn seems to be ok. I don't know yet what my rain gauge says. I forgot to plant seeds yesterday before the storm comes but 70 mph wind never came.

TV keeps showing photos of Papago Park AZ and says, 18 days of above 110°. At least 117° today. Why do they keep saying, at least, at least, over and over. 114° and 115° is nothing new in AZ it is like that all summer every year. TV tries to make it sound as bad as possible but its just another day in AZ.
Attachments
100_8158.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

.25" here by almost 9 am this morning, when I went to Aldi, but it had slowed down to barely a drizzle, so it hadn't changed by the time I got back, 25 minutes later. By 10:15 it was up to .31", so it has speeded up a little bit, but still not flooding rains around here. Cooler - about 75°, though still very humid, of course, with all that rain. Still supposed to get to 89° today.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

2 pm rain has stopped, sun is out & bright blue sky. Rain gauge is a fraction less than 4" total. Flash flood warnings are on TV. There is usually a 6 hour delay before rain runs off into streams then into rivers. This was perfect timing for corn to grow larger ears & large kernels. Town of Mayfield near TN-KY border got 10" of rain. High today is suppose to be 90°. Time to check out the blackberry patch I need 3 more gallons.

imafan26
Mod

Looks some of you will be getting more rain than I will. It has been windy and wet, but the rain is still light. It will get windier and wetter as the day goes on. I am staying inside and off the street today. I don't like to drive in the rain if I don't have to. The winds will only get to 25-35 mph with higher gusts. That is pretty much what we get from strong trades. So far, nothing has fallen over. The peak rain won't come till tonight. The storm is traveling west, so it is actually moving away from the islands. The weather should be back to normal tomorrow. The temperature is 74 degrees at 9:30 in the morning. That is the thing with tropical cyclones, they are heat engines, so it is warmer than usual. Overnight Calvin fell apart before reaching the Big Island probably from wind shear. We will still get rain but even the Big Island won't get as much rain as they predicted yesterday which is good news. A little rain is good, a lot of rain in a short time causes a lot of issues. Storm surge is still going to be a problem especially for roads and property along the shoreline. The news this morning only reported a few small power outages, a landslide, and a couple of roads that are prone to flooding with heavy rain anyway that were closed on the Big Island. They were happy with those impacts. It is still raining there in some parts of the island, but everyone is happy to have been safe and prepared. If this storm had come in October, it would have been a different story, because the Pacific High would not be there to protect us. It is very unusual for storms in July to even make it this far and come so close. We don't get frequent hurricanes. But we do get severe storm systems that by themselves cause a lot of damage, sometimes in places you least expect it.

It helps to be a small target in the vast Pacific Ocean and it also helps that the Pacific High anticyclone stops most storms before they get here. However, we are aware that it is not if but when the next cyclone will impact us. Being out literally in the middle of the Pacific, it takes a long time to restore infrastructure and to even meet basic needs with finite resources and almost everything would need to be shipped in.

My weather beats what is happening on the mainland with the wildfires causing all the smoke issues, heat waves in some places and storms and flooding in other places.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How can it be 84°f outside and have 1" hail about 5 miles away from us. We had more storms today, storms are over now. TV said, they recorded 608 lightning strikes in 5 minutes. I wish I could have 608 lightning strikes in our front yard, that would be amazing, 3 lightning strikes every second.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is 73 degrees with a light wind from the East. We are back to the normal weather pattern with mostly windward showers overnight and in the morning. I had drained my rain barrel before the storm and it is 3/4 full now. (about 70-80 gallons). There is a huge clump of algae in the barrel so I put a gallon of bleach in the barrel to try to reduce it. I put about a cup of bleach in a few weeks ago and did not touch it. I may have to go after this thing a little at a time. My rain barrels are 55 gallon drums, but they only have a 3 inch inlet so it is nearly impossible to clean out large chunks of algae. I need to try to dissolve it with bleach.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 99°f (37°C) at the nearest airport yesterday afternoon and with fingers crossed, I am hoping that this just may be the highest temperature for the Summer. Since May, we have had 16 days above 90°f (32°C). It's been 99f 3 different times and if we don't crack that silly 100F line, it will be so, VERY ok with me!

It is dry, also. There has been no rain in nearly 4 weeks. We aren't out of the highs above 90f nor the risk of 100+, Of Course. But, I take some small encouragement from the Weather Service's prediction that there will be a little cooling next week (our average hottest week of the year). We could sure use a break from the hot and dry. Dryness -- most years, we will not have significant rain for about another 6 more weeks.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

70° this morning. Sun rise is 30 minutes later than a month ago. TV claims no rain for a week. We have 1000s of mosquitoes from every day rain. When sun gets above the trees mosquitoes are no problem until sun set. I can't decide which is best, every day rain or desert, both have advantages.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees at 6 a.m. It has been raining overnight and it remains cloudy and overcast. Winds are light 5 mph. Day temperatures will be in the mid 80's The forecast is for a high of 86, but I am usually a couple of degrees cooler. Downhill it is 78 degrees. So, I am about 7 degrees cooler than at sea level. The rain will not be enough to water the yard, so I will still have to water. This is the normal rain pattern for me. What is not normal is that it is July and usually it would be drier. The grass is still green and growing. I have to mow again.

applestar
Mod

Unbelievable that it’s 80°F outside at 4 o’clock in the morning!
Attachments
96D2F6F9-155B-4F12-A6F7-243851B6F297.jpeg

imafan26
Mod

That is unbelievable and a high of 94 as well.
I'd rather have my muggy 74 degrees with no wind that makes me feel like I am in a steam room.

imafan26
Mod

It is 74 degrees again. The sun isn't up yet. It is thickly overcast, so it will be another steamy day. It is cool now. I will try to get out early and get some yard work done before it gets too hot.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It's 93° out there now, heat index of 102°, so it's gone down a couple degrees from the hottest today. I'm waiting for the shade to go over the entire garden - I'll go out there briefly, but not very long! Supposed to be about the same tomorrow, but finally getting cooler.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 95°f here today. TV continues to claim this is the hottest weather in 30 years. That is not true we had 30 days of 100°f temperatures last summer that was a 30 day record. TV also claims Phoenix AZ had 30 days over 110° hottest weather on record. Stop telling lies AZ is often 114°f all summer. TV is FAKE news, SCARE tactics, DRAMA, they try to make it sound worse that it is. It was 75° this morning an forecast is 70° tomorrow morning. AZ 114° is dry heat it does not feel as hot as 95° in TN.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Gary, I kinda like the personalities of some of our teevee weather people but, I usually use them as a prompt to see what the Weather Service has to say ;).

The WS does a lot better than I can coming up with a guess about the future weather. I'm also inclined to trust their thermometers rather than the one that hangs under my deck roof. Their "every 5 minutes" may be a little crazy but give them a day to sort out all that data. Here is Wednesday's information that they have for Phoenix:
Screenshot_2023-07-28-17-59-12_kindlephoto-102141716.png
And, where it can be found for other days: https://www.weather.gov/wrh/Climate?wfo=psr

That record lowest HIGH from 1913 looks a little crazy to me ;). I am sitting here at 6PM with the WS telling me it's 88°f outside. Some folks in more humid places claim that they shouldn't show the "feels like" idea. It upsets people. But it does give a person an idea about what it "feels like." And, you are right -- dry heat is more bearable. Our humidity is only 16% right now so it feels like 84°f. (Still, I just came in from outdoors and really appreciated that about half the short time I was out there, it was in the shade :).)

Steve
the good news, I guess, is that rain is predicted for Phoenix so maybe things will be better there and they will come a little closer to that lowest maximum!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Originally it didn't look like anything was coming through here, but I hear thunder now, and a heavy line of rain coming through, when I checked the radar, on WC. We'll see how fast it moves. Now I'm seeing lighting, to go with it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wow it feels HOT this morning its only 74°f. After breakfast I went out to pick blackberries it is 80° now and feel like 100+. No breeze dead calm feels hotter. Berries are amazing easy to pick 1 quart in 20 minutes. Heat is making be dizzy I'm going in the house. TV said, heat index is 110° today. I guess I stay in AC drink ice water then go pick berries 15 minutes every hour. TV said high humidity is moving out tomorrow. I want 15 mph wind today. 114° never feels this hot in AZ.

imafan26
Mod

It rained a little bit in the morning but I was still able to work in it. It only lasted about 10 minutes. The forecast is for more of the same. My temperature is also the same 74 degrees with a high in the Mid 80's. The skies are clear but the winds are light. Humidity is 70%. It will be a nice day, but it will feel warmer without the brisk trades. The UV index is high, so I will avoid being outside as much as possible between 10 a.m.-3 p.m. I'll do the heaviest work (for me in the morning) and try to get out again later in the day.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Despite hearing thunder for about 4 hours last night, and seeing lighting much of the time, I only got .17" of rain, so the heavy parts of the front went north and south of me! It was only 80° when I went out around 9 am, but dew all over still, so I didn't do much. Today is supposed to be the last day in the mid 90s for a while, with some thunderstorms later on, due to the humidity, and the humidity and temperature are supposed to be coming down.

applestar
Mod

Ooh — I crashed last evening and must have slept through, but maybe that explains why one of my corn patches (Spiral Garden) was flattened this morning. :(

A piece of wire fencing had somehow been blown into the corn. If it had been gusty enough, possibly the vented plastic that was under it had been blown to flap sufficiently and toss the fence over 2 or three feet?

I lifted them up to stand with lines of strings. One fatal casualty — completely snapped — will see if the others recover….

imafan26
Mod

It is 83 degree at 2:30 in the afternoon. It rained intermittently yesterday but only sprinkles and less than 010 inch total. The wind is up to 13 mph and that helps, but it am still sweating doing nothing. Humidity is dry for here 49%. The UV index is 12.6. I won't be going outside till after 4 p.m.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous day today, compared to the horrible heat and humidity that's been in the area lately. Only got to 80° today, and the dewpoint was only 52°, and breezy all day. I was out there much of the day, making up for very short days in this heat. Already below 70° at 10:30 pm. Tomorrow is supposed to be a little warmer, but not much, and still low humidity.

imafan26
Mod

Now, it is feeling more like summer. It is 70 degrees at 5 a.m. There is no wind and it is raining somewhere, but not here just yet. High will be around 85 degrees. Humidity is up to 81% so it will be hot and muggy. The UV index will peak about 12.5 at noon. It will be 9.2-10.9 between 10a.m.-2 p.m. So, I will have to do most of the heavy outside yard work before 10 a.m. and after 2:30 p.m.

Tomorrow is August 1 and this is the hottest time of the year. It will be a full moon so the King Tide will be here as well. During King Tides low lying areas will flood. There are a few places where brackish water will seep up to the surface and flood the street. It is preview of what is to come when enough sea ice melts and sea level rises.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

70° this morning and everything is green with, mold, mildew, algae. No wonder our allergies are so bad, some days I am dizzy as a drunk. Big storms moving south toward us for 2 hours, we got lucky storms are passing us 50 miles away. TV said we got 1.3" of rain last night. There was a super moon last night we could not see it, too many clouds. Garden needs rain. I spent 2 days pressure washing the green mildew patio. Tree bark is green too. The whole state of TN needs to be pressure washed. Look at green algae on the back of patio chair, all 8 chairs are green.
Attachments
100_8289.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Today was a hot one. Right now it is 83 degrees at 2:43 p.m. It did rain overnight. I am getting mostly overnight showers and relatively sunny hot days. Dora will pass well to the south of us, so we are only expecting ocean swells and surf but not much rain thanks mainly to the Pacific High.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WTF = What's The Facts. More rain in the forecast every day for a week. Enough is enough! We usually have hot dry desert June to Oct. I am not complaining about 90° temperatures being 10° below average. Very heavy fog this morning visibility is about 50 feet. This is probably good for mosquitos.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees at 5 a.m.

According to reports July was the hottest month on record. I am sure more records will be broken as the climate gets warmer.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The last 5 or 6 days were not only below average temperature, but well below average humidity, which was even better! I got a lot of work done outside, making up for that horrible high heat and humidity in the end of July. Today, the heat and humidity are coming back, but not as bad as in July, when the HI was well over 100° on the worst days. Still, it's not as bad as it was last year, in this area, with far fewer 90+ days. And despite some of the areas around here getting huge amounts of rain, sometimes 6-7" in a day, which made up for the entire year in drought, this area is still about 3" short of the average rainfall, and I could tell how dry it was when I would mow or weedwack, and stir up a lot of dust!

imafan26
Mod

It is a balmy 74 degrees at 7 a.m. It is probably going to be hot and windy today. Hurricane Dora is 884 miles SE of Honolulu. It will pass well to the South, so we won't get much rain, but it looks like we will get the calm before the storm. Winds are zero now. The warm progressively intensifying winds will be around for the next couple of days, before things get back to normal. There are gale and high wind warnings in effect for the next couple of days. Winds should pick up this afternoon. The forecast high is 89 degrees.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

As I was getting ready to go to bed around 1 am the rain came. In about 5 minutes there had been .32", and by 1:15, the last time I looked, there was .45", and when I got up this morning, there had been .66". And that is supposed to be the lighter rain - later this afternoon that heavier line is supposed to come through. Like I said, I'll see I'll see if it's as heavy as it's supposed to be.

imafan26
Mod

I woke up this morning to news reports about severe tonado damage in the East. I hope everyone is o.k.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had a total of .06 of an inch of July rain at the nearest WS airport site. Sunday, I woke up to wet backsteps -- there had been .16 of an inch of rain that fell.

Yesterday's forecast started out with a 70% chance of rain. It was reduced to 30%. Not 1 drop fell.

The good news is that the temperature has dropped to more comfortable levels and, there seemed to have been a little more rain that fell on the distant garden than here at home or at that airport (Felts Field.) I still gave the garden a full watering and just hoped for some more rain. Good thing that the water comes from an aquifer that is supplied by mountain ranges. Winter snowfall has been very close to normal in recent years.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It has been very Windy 24 mph with gusts up to 60 mph. A few pots got knocked over and I had to put the bougainvillea bonsai on the ground because it is in a ceramic pot on a stand and it may break if it falls off. There hasn't been much rain, a few sprinkles last night. Everything was so dry this morning, so I watered the yard when the wind calmed. I put the bonsai back on the stand, but the wind picked up again and I put it back on the ground. It is 84 degrees. Much cooler than predicted. Dora is still a cat 4 Hurricane 685 mi south of Honolulu and is moving westward at 22 mph. This wind is all from Dora. I count it as a blessing, it could be a lot worse. The weather should return to normal by Thursday.

imafan26
Mod

Lahaina burned overnight. Brush fires are common at this time of the year and all the islands have them so that is not unusual. However, the Big Island and Maui are in exceptional drought with lots of dry brush to fuel fires. The winds from Dora created a firestorm that raged through Lahaina last night. All of the islands are at a disadvantage because most places on the other islands have only one or two roads in or out and they are mainly 2 lane roads. The fire burned down utility poles, there was no cell phone reception, people said they had no warning until the flames were almost upon them.

The firefighters were running out of water to fight the fires. There was no authorities directing the evacuation in Lahaina. The fire spread so fast. They were all deployed trying to keep the road open so people could get out. The people were aware of the fire earlier in the day, but did not realize how close it was and no one expected it to get to the town. They only had 45 minutes to get out before the firestorm swept through the town. People did not have time to grab anything and drove out if they had gas. People did pick up some people on the road, but they also said they saw some bodies as well and that communication was cut off because the cell towers and power poles were were burned. Many people still have not been able to contact their family members. 14 people were rescued from the water after they were trapped on the dock and had to jump into the water to escape the flames. 14 were rescued, but no one knows how many actually jumped in the water. Because many people are cut off from communication, many people don't know where their relatives are. The death count officially is 36, but many people are still unaccounted for. There hasn't been much information from Maui officials. I suspect they also have problems even communicating with each other with power lines and cell service down.

People escaped to the other side of Maui and Hawaiian and Southwest added $19 flights to help people and stranded tourists evacuate to Honolulu where a shelter has been set up at the convention center. But it has been hard to even get to the airport. People said the roads are so packed that it took them 5 hours to get to the airport and they were late so missed their flight and were stuck at the airport. The other side of Maui shelters, hotels, and Walmart became refugee shelters for tourists and residents who had nowhere to go. People are also stranded at the airport. The weird thing is that people were still going to Maui and the State has asked people not to go because Maui resources are stretched. People did not know what they were coming to, the fire swept through the town so fast. People lost their homes, their livelihoods, and many of them have lived there for generations.

There are three wildfires, and they are all still burning. Some communities are still at risk. In the mainland, you can get resources from surrounding communities. Not so on an island. Resources are finite. Local businesses did step up. Local businesses offered help like the hotels are taking in refugees, people on Maui have gone to the refugee centers to donate clothing, blankets, and food. Maui tourist helicopter business also offered to assist and most of the video of the damage came from them. The military supplied support helicopters for water drops on the fires, and the coast guard rescued people from the water. Police were busy evacuating people from other communities that were also at risk and controlling traffic on the main roads. Today Maui has asked for additional help from firefighters and law enforcement support from Oahu. The red cross has opened up new shelters, but resources are stretched, they are trying to get the tourists out of Maui either back to the mainland or to another island. Some Maui residents that had to evacuate stayed with relatives on Maui or came to Honolulu or other island. Many of those I suspect had relatives on other islands willing to take them in.

A few houses survived the fire, but they have no power or phone service. Infrastructure is damaged and HECO said it may take a month before power can be restored. 271 buildings were burnt to the ground including building in the historical district as well as some landmarks, and a lot of homes.

The winds from Dora should be gone now, but the fires are still burning and threatening other communities. It will take a long time for Lahaina to recover.

applestar
Mod

This is an unthinkable tragedy.

@imafan, I wanted to express my heartfelt sorrow and concern for the people that have been devastated and impacted and by the fires, and for the loss of cultural heritage treasures and sites.

Sending love and supportive thoughts.

imafan26
Mod

Thank you. There has been an outpouring of Aloha from all over the world. Donations are streaming in, but some parts of Lahaina that was not burned are still without power or cell service and are inaccessible. The only thing that can reach those people are radio stations if they have radios.

Supplies are being let in, but most people are being kept out since some people who were let in earlier did not follow the rules. Some private donors who can't get in from the roads, are using small boats to bring fuel and supplies into the harbor to get it to the residents still trapped in there. Many of them are afraid to leave because they may not be allowed to return. The coast guard is letting those humanitarian boats in, but not others. Helicopters have also ferried in supplies and taken some people out.

Lahaina was the economic center of the island. It impacts most people there since even those who did not live in Lahaina, worked there and now they have no jobs to go to.

There are still at least 2 fires still burning and threatening other communities. Maui fire and police are getting help from additional firefighters sent in and air support for water drops. What does not make the news is that the other fires have also burned homes in other locations in Maui as well.

There are fires on the Big Island as well. Brush fires are common here in the dry season. There were brush fires a couple of weeks ago less than 5 miles away from my house on Oahu. It happened in a park that has a lot of dry grass in undeveloped areas of the park and it threatened homes on the perimeter of the park. Residents were in their back yards with water hoses working to keep the flames away.

The difference here is that unlike Maui, the fires occurred in areas that had fire stations within a few minutes to respond. Oahu is not battling multiple fires, the fires were accessible, and none of the infrastructure was damaged. It did not disrupt cell service, so people could easily see and report the fire.

On Maui, people knew the brush fire was above Lahaina, and they knew the firefighters were trying to put it out. It started out as a relatively small fire. The 60 mph wind gust from Dora accelerated all four fires on Maui and stretched the emergency response system. The Lahaina topography, extreme drought, dry non-native grasses, spotty communications because it is not in an easily accessible area, and the high winds created by the High pressure area to the North west and Dora to the south, funneled the high winds across the state, made things harder for them. The wind gusts prevented the helicopters from being able to do water drops on the fire. The fire quickly got out of control because of the dry fuel and the wind whipping the flames and spreading embers rapidly down hill into Lahaina. The fire crews were overwhelmed and unable to stop it. They had no time to warn anyone. The fires spread so fast, and burned power lines, cell towers and probably the sirens as well.

Even if the sirens went off, if there was no power or cell service, no one would have known why. The authorities said they did send out text messages, but most people found out when they saw the fires coming toward them. The fires spread fast since most of the structures are made of wood. No one knows for sure how many people were even able to get the messages before the cell towers burned down. The roads on the outer islands are few and narrow. People were trapped in their cars trying to leave. One of the roads had19 utility poles down on the road and people were so desperate they even drove over them, not knowing if the power was still live.

People fear that the elderly and people with mobility problems probably did not get out as well. Over a thousand people were missing after the fire. Some have been reunited, but hundreds are still unaccounted for and feared to be dead. It will take years to rebuild the town. They think that there are probably more victims in the water. The governor has made arrangements with the hotels to use the hotels as temporary housing. Power service has been restored to some areas so the hotels there can operate their rooms. People have taken in some displaced families, and many people did have relatives that have taken them in.

There is a lot of grieving and anger now as people want to see what happened to their homes and come to grips with all they have lost. But they are also grateful for the outpouring of donations that are still coming. They had so many donations at some donation locations, they asked for more volunteers to be able to sort through them.

There is another storm system about to cross into the Pacific basin with a 90% chance of getting stronger. It is following a path similar to Dora. It will tick up the wind across the state, but it is a weaker storm than Dora and the High has moved farther away, so the winds are not expected to be as bad. Still, with the extreme dry conditions, it could ignite or make the brush fires already burning worse on any island. That tropical cyclone should pass under the state Tuesday-Thursday.

It is 83 degrees with a humidity of 36% and no rain in sight.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

80° today, TV claims NO rain for a week. It's hard to believe no rain for a week will really happen. I have heard this before then 4 hrs later its raining. 1/2" to 2" of rain almost every day for 2½ months that is a lot of rain. Some places have had 50" of rain. Flooding, bridges washed away, trees down, no electricity, roads washed away, high wind, hail, tornados, 100 houses blown away. Living in tornado alley we see this all the time, its nothing new to us, it's nothing to get worried about any more. TV will take 20 pictures of 1 tree that fell then talk about it like its a national disaster. I don't watch much TV I'm tired of doom & gloom, I just want to see high temperature today and when to expect rain. About 10 potato plants have grown 1/2" tall so far, if not for all this every day rain I don't think potatoes would be growing plants this soon. 230 more plants to go.

imafan26
Mod

I got a few sprinkles yesterday as well. But it has been mostly dry and I still have to water. My grass is extra crispy because I don't water the grass on purpose. At least I don't have to mow yet, although I have to edge. I could not cut the runners with the weed whacker. I have toughened up my plants this year so some of them can go a couple of days, but there are still some that can't make it past a day and a half. It is 68 degrees now. It will probably get up into the mid 80's. Humidity is 84% and there is moisture imbedded in the trade wind flow. I may even get some of that, but I still have to water the yard.

Hurricane Fernanda will come closer to us, but is weakening and expected to become a tropical depression in a few days. Newly named tropical storm Greg is on a track similar to Dora, but is not expected to become a hurricane and will remain a storm as it passes again to the south of the islands. Both of these storms are going to arrive about the same time, Wednesday to Thursday for Greg, and around Sunday- Monday for Fernanda, which will increase the risk of wind and fire across the state. Greg will bring an uptick in the trades (25-30 mph), and Fernanda may bring a few more showers from the remnants. It is rare to have two storm systems come so close together, but it is common that they follow similar tracks as previous storms.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”