zero.kewl
Newly Registered

How do I keep gift roses alive?

hi to make a long story short my wifes cousin cadie died at 22 in a car wreck.
they of corse had pink roses at the servic. my wife broght one home. now I dontknow junk about roses. but I am good with other plants. I have a 400 watt mh and 400 hps system. this rose started growing what id call a clone or a cutting from the sides of one of the nodes.... its about 3 to 4 inchs tall now its split and looks like a v with about 4 leafs on each side.. now I want to keep this flower alive to make new roses togive to her parents. I figured there would have to be some sort of sentament in that....

my question is..

what are there flowering periods..? should I cut the clone off the stem and root her or simple plant the stem???? any helps tips or info would be great..

p.s its a long stem pink rose...

god bless...

Grey
Greener Thumb

Here you go:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2944

I'm no expert with roses, maybe if JPIXI sees this she can help more than I can. I'd let the rose you have get fairly established, and take cuttings in the spring or summer... or even next year, though I know you don't want to wait that long.

Sorry for your loss. I will be propagating a rose cutting or two from a large rose my grandfather planted while he was still healthy, now he is gone and the rose is just huge and amazing, we cut off so many blooms to give family at the funeral, because it was "his" rose. Grandma is talking about moving, plus I want the rose myself too...

zero.kewl
Newly Registered

Grey wrote:Here you go:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2944

I'm no expert with roses, maybe if JPIXI sees this she can help more than I can. I'd let the rose you have get fairly established, and take cuttings in the spring or summer... or even next year, though I know you don't want to wait that long.

Sorry for your loss. I will be propagating a rose cutting or two from a large rose my grandfather planted while he was still healthy, now he is gone and the rose is just huge and amazing, we cut off so many blooms to give family at the funeral, because it was "his" rose. Grandma is talking about moving, plus I want the rose myself too...
do rose have a vegitateive and blooming photoperiod?

for lets say if you want to grow them hydroponicly under a hps and mh light?

Grey
Greener Thumb

Blooming periods vary by rose. The "fruiting" stage would be a development of rose hips. I've never experimented with hydroponics or artificial lighting, so I'm at a loss here.

zero.kewl
Newly Registered

Grey wrote:Blooming periods vary by rose. The "fruiting" stage would be a development of rose hips. I've never experimented with hydroponics or artificial lighting, so I'm at a loss here.

rose hips?? could you explain...

with some other plants to get them to grow veg. the lights should be on 24/7 or 18/6 to flower you would switch to 12/12 to show the plant winter is coming time to bloom.. I take it roses are more complexed?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

zero.kewl,

Rose Hips are the fruits of Roses.
[img]https://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/images2/rosehips.jpg[/img]
A quote from this article:
[url]https://www.ogtr.gov.au/rtf/ir/biologyrose1.rtf[/url]
The greenhouse rose is self-inductive, meaning that flowers are initiated autonomously in extending shoots (Halevy 1972a, in Särkkä 2004). Flowering is not regulated by photoperiod or temperature. Roses are generally classed as day neutral and flowering is recurrent throughout the year provided growing conditions are suitable (Zieslin and Moe 1985, in Särkkä 2004).
Norm

Pamela2323
Newly Registered

Sorry for your loss and I wish you the best of luck with that special Rose.

Return to “Rose Forum”