valerieT
Newly Registered

white dutch clover

Just moved into a home with a large front yard full of walnut trees. It has a grass lawn now but I was thinking of putting in white dutch clover and planting lily of the valley, bleeding hearts and ferns. I'm hoping the clover will fill in the patches untill the other plants start to spread and that I won't have to mow. I'm new to gardening so I don't know if the clover will choke out the other plants? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D
I'm also new to this forum so don't know if this will show what area I live, I'm in zone 5.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The bleeding hearts, ferns, and lily of the valley sounds lovely. I would plant them first. If they get well established first, they can hopefully hold their own against the clover. But the clover is much faster growing. If planted with the others, it will get way ahead and probably will choke them out.

valerieT
Newly Registered

Thanks so much! I would have been very dissapointed if the lily of the valley didn't make it! I can wait on the clover. :D

soil
Greener Thumb

our "lawn" is clover and grass. the clover thrives at a different time than the grass. they compliment each other.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”