lmillan23
Newly Registered

How do I Prevent my Bonsai from Turning Brown

:( My bonsai is turning brown and am concerned that it is going to die. What do I need to do so that it does not completely brown?
LRM

Gnome
Mod

lmillan23,

You have not given us enough information to provide a meaningful reply. What species are you growing? Under what conditions is it kept? Inside or out and under what temperatures? Morning or afternoon sun? Full sun or shade?

How long have you had it and has anything changed recently. Have you been fertilizing it and if so are you sure that you are using the product correctly? Do you have a 'green thumb' or are you new to this? How about with other plants in pots?

What is the soil like, coarse and gritty or dense and peaty, like potting soil? How, and how often do you water it? How do you determine when to water?

Etc, etc.

Norm

lmillan23
Newly Registered

NEW BONSAI OWNER - BONSAI IS TURNING BROWN

I am a new owner to this bonsai. A friend gifted me his bonsai and he had it outdoors for a few years and all he did was water it. I on the other hand had it outdoors on my front porch where some sun light hits it and now have moved indoors near a shady window and regularly keep it moist and recently in the past few weeks repotted it with some planting soil called GARDEN SOIL for plants and vegetables enchriched with Miracle Gro. I have it in a deep pot and was definitely growing beautifully and even new green growth was coming out from the tip of the bonsai, but now it is rapidly turning brown and am concerned it will die. I have never over watered this bonsai at all. What do I need to do before it is no longer? I cannot have this plant die on me. It was a dear gift.
LRM

alisios

I don't think that the soil you chose is any better than what it was in. Can you take a picture of the of the plant and post it?

If your friend kept it a live for a while, it's best to mimic what was done in the past.

Gnome
Mod

lmillan23,

I have to wonder what prompted you to re-pot your tree in mid-summer. Secondly, as alisios pointed out, your choice of soil was not appropriate. Keeping it inside 'near a shady window' is not really a good idea either, your friend apparently did OK with it outside. You may also be, especially considering the potting soil, keeping it too wet.

I think I would get it back out on the porch and follow the 'chopstick method' of watering as outlined in the general growing sticky.

It really would help to know the species. Can you ask your friend or post a photo?

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”