mry2008
Newly Registered

dead tree

I believe the tree is dead, but not sure. It is a juniper and it is about 1 year old. It has been inside because I live in texas and I believe it gets to hot fr the treeto be outside. I watered it everyday and it is always at 75 degrees farenheit. The leaves are really dry an are somewhat yellow. Is there anything I can do?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Sounds to me like you may have overwatered your tree. In the future, use a tooth pick or a chopstick and emerse it in the soil. If the wood comes out with soil sticking to it, don't water the tree. Also, it is good to mist the tree, especially where it is hot.

Though, I think it is time to put this tree in the compost and try again.

Also, a nice organic fertilizer like liquid seaweed will keep future trees nice an healthy.

Try researching what trees will grow best in your climate and buy a tree that will suit the heat of texas. Trees will be much healthier if they are grown outside.

mry2008
Newly Registered

Thanks for the help, I hope my second tree will last longer.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Your welcome. I'm sure that there are several bonsai clubs in your area, look them up. I'm sure that people there will be very helpful at telling you what trees to grow, what soil mixes work best, watering and all that sort of stuff! Have fun!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sorry to say I agree with Opa's post; outside is still more humid than in your house (which has a relative humidity in the thirty to forty percent range; that's somewhere between the Sahara and Gobi Deserts). Make some shade and get the next one out of the house for as long as possible every year...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”