Josh Hegna
Newly Registered

Dog Stains

I have numerous dog stains in my yard. My dogs are getting better about not using the lawn, and I try to keep the neighbor dogs off.

What is the best way to go about fixing these stains?

mbaker410

I am not too sure about how to fix the stains but I do know that the pet store by my house sells a "pee post" that attracts the dogs to pee there.

This could help in concentrating the urine to one area. Never tried it but figured I would post.

Mike

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think there is an immediate fix for them that's very convenient. The grass is burned from the nitrogen in the dogs' feces and urine. It's the same thing that would happen if you overfertilized your lawn with a spreader. It has been my experience that the grass will recover in most cases, and if it doesn't, the surrounding, undamaged grass should spread to fill in any areas where the grass is actually dead.

If you're really in a hurry to "fix" it, you could reseed the areas and keep them well watered until the new grass grows, or you could use grass plugs to fill in the areas. Using plugs would work more quickly than waiting for the surrounding grass to spread into the damaged areas.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A pet-supply catalogue arrived in the mail the other day. I set it aside and have just now gone through it.

I usually get catalogues from Pet Edge (www.petedge.com) and Jeffers Pet (www.jefferspet.com).

The current Jeffers Pet catalogue features several products which allege that they can help with pet stains on lawns. Three products are supplements to feed dogs (the supplements supposedly "stop yellow spots on your beautiful lawn" or "prevent lawn yellowing caused by animal waste" or even "neutralize urine, keeping grass green"). Two other products are applied to the lawn rather than fed to the dog(s):

1) Lawn Spot Away(tm): "Colors burned spots caused by pet urine with a natural green coloring. Natural enzymes break down the urine and begin to promote regrowth of the damaged grass." Sold in a 32-oz. spray container.

2) Yard Odor Killer(tm): "Safely and effectively eliminates stool and urine odors. Spray on any outdoor surface. Safe for use on grass, plants, shrubs, patios, patio furniture, kennels, fences or any other surface where odors arise due to pets. Ready-to-use 32 oz. has a spray action adapter nozzle for easy attachmen to any standard garden hose." 16-oz. refills also available.

Maybe Jeffers Pet's products, or someone else's, can help. I haven't used them but thought you'd be interested in knowing what's on the market.

Cynthia H. (who has dogs but no lawn...they just use the area under the Coast Redwood)
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

The urine burns are probably the result of high concentrations of nitrogen and salts. There are some products you feed the dog that supposedly alter the dog's urine chemistry to prevent this, they often contain yucca or brewer's yeast. I have not tried these and have no idea how effective they are or if there are any potential side effects for the dog(s). The usual recommendation for treating existing spots is to spread gypsum on the area in the fall and again in the spring and flood with water. The exact mechanism at work here is not clear to me but it does seem to work fairly well. It could be that lots of water to flush the soil accounts for much of the positive effect but gypsum certainly won't do any harm.

Return to “Lawn Care”