para_chan

Bottom leaves curling upwards?

I have two tomato plants growing in 18" plastic containers. (Homestead and Heat Wave) They're growing pretty well, have two baby fruits on the Heat Wave and flowers on both. The problem is that the leaves on the older stems are curling up. There's not really any spots-just the leaves curling.

I was watering them every day when I first got them, but it rained a lot so I stopped. I started watering them again last night, but it doesn't seem to have helped any. The new leaves are fine.

I have no idea what could cause it, or if it's even an actual problem.

gnu
Newly Registered

sounds like wilt

i have the same problem with my plants. I'm told it's tomato wilt. a bacteria that comes from the soil.i was told not to overhead water but i still get it. my daughter waters with town water that contains chlorine and her plants are healthy so I'm going to try adding a couple of drops of bleach to my watering can.it's winter here in australia at the moment so it's going to be 6 months before i can try it out.

para_chan

I read about the tomato wilt, but mine are in containers with bought soil. I'd think that it'd be hard for bacteria to come from packaged soil?

But in any case, I think it's herbicide damage now- the stems are growing very twisted and the leaves are still all curled up. The bigger tomato has it worse, so I'm thinking that it sheltered the other one from it.

Are tomatoes still good to eat if they develop on a plant that was herbicided? The plant's still growing, as are the tomatoes, so I'm assuming it's recovering..

jmcdzzz
Newly Registered

Re: sounds like wilt

gnu wrote:I have the same problem with my plants. I'm told it's tomato wilt. a bacteria that comes from the soil.I was told not to overhead water but I still get it. my daughter waters with town water that contains chlorine and her plants are healthy so I'm going to try adding a couple of drops of bleach to my watering can.it's winter here in australia at the moment so it's going to be 6 months before I can try it out.
Actually, this sounds more like leaf roll. By your description it sounds like it's either toom much water, or too cool night temps or both.

It shouldn't hurt the quality of the fruit, just the yield.

https://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/Pests/Diseases/tomaprob.htm

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”