Kittygreenthumb86

How do you harvest seeds from a Mimosa Pudica?

Anyone?....... its got these fluffy pink flowers all over it......it should be producing seeds soon.

Cat

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Albizia julibrissin (Mimosa or Silk Tree)

Yes, they're all over here too.

You might want to do an internet search for albizia + julibrissin + invasive. There will be many sites out there that discuss how it reproduces and perhaps if you are still interested you could pick up some tips on propagating Mimosa that way. This is not a plant I've ever propagated, most won't.

Kittygreenthumb86

that is a completely different plant than mine

My plant is a flowering ground cover Mimosa Pudica also known as a "sensetive plant"....it is very interesting... when you touch the leaves they move away from you and curl up.

Kitty

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Oh gosh, I now see you have the species in up there as well as the Genus. Sorry about that. Caught the Mimosa and missed the pudica.

I'm familiar with that plant. Sort of pretty. I've not propagated that one either. We call it the Shame Plant around here. Don't know why it's called the Shame Plant. Maybe something to do with the way its leaves curl up as if it is bashful or has been disgraced or something?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensitive_plant

Xaxton
Newly Registered

A possible solution

You can try tying a bag to the flowers before they bloom completely or harvest seeds the following way.

The Mimosa Pudica is not a plant, but is actually a shrub, if grown in the best conditions it should grow a drunk and when that happens, from the trunk, a small flower with thicker petals should form on one of the wooden branches. Just hang a sandwich bag from under the flower using a piece of string, you may also be able to collect seeds by tying the bag over the seed. (but not too tightly,) and when the flower ejects the seed (I've seen this happen myself,) the bag should catch it.

But I have never done this before so I don't know if it will work, it might even kill the plant for all I know.

kidsgardner
Newly Registered

How to collect seeds from a TickleMe Plant (sensitive plant)

The authority on the sensitive plant, more commonly known as The TickleMe Plant is the TickleMe Plant Company. My students and I have used The TickleMe Plant Book as a source to learn how to pollinate flowers and collect seeds. We have learned how to get our TickleMe Plants to flower in the middle of winter. You can see videos, books and kits to grow your own at www.ticklemeplant.com
This is our students favorite seed planting activity as we have ordered the classroom kits, which includes the book for the last five years. Its the easiest plant to grow with kids and they love it! :lol:

adobo

the flowers will produce seed pods:
[img]https://www.stuartxchange.org/MakahiyaInsert.jpg[/img]

when the seed pods turned dry and brown, its ready to harvest.

aaaeeerrr

i just cant make my seeds gereminate :( i want mimosas too

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”