DenimQueen
Newly Registered

Strawberries in Containers Over Winter

Hi!
I have some strawerry plants in hanging baskets. I'm new to growing strawberries, but understand that a plant should crop for 3-4 years. What do I need to do to look after my plants over winter? Do I leave them in he baskets but bring thm inside?

Thanks for your help!

Roger

I wouldn't overwinter them in a heated area. They need a cold period to go dormant. An unheated garage or root celler, or outbuilding of some sort would be ideal to keep them in. If they are in an indoor area such as these, remember to water them very lightly once every other week or so.

If your winters are not very severe, they can be kept outdoors in containers, providing you give the roots some sort of protection against the wind and freezing conditions. Ideally they should be stored on the ground, near the base of some wall or large, wind-breaking structure. They should have straw or hay or something piled up around the containers [to help insulate the container] from freezing and wind. You probably won't need to water them at all if they are outdoors.

L
Newly Registered

I'm in the UK and I leave mine out (where they were growing) all year round I have the pegasus variety and this is their fourth year and 3 out of the 4 are making good progress this year! Other tips are to net them so that the birds don't get them before you do, water them well to swell the fruits, pick often to encourage more! you as the fruits start to form you can put hay/straw under them so that the fruits are resting on the straw not the soil which can make them rot faster, if you can resist picking them for long enough for that to be a problem :D

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”