hg
Newly Registered

ASPARAGUS ROOTS

I've mistakenly planted my asparagus roots with half of roots exposed above the soil, but have a stem already sprouted out. Do i need to re-plant the remaining exposed roots under the soil? Do i need to cut the new sprouted stems? Any tips would be much obliged. :o :?: :roll: :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I would just cover them over with some soil. I don't think it will be a problem. It takes a few years before you can harvest anyway. Not a problem.

Enjoy your asparagus, they are highly nutritious.

My father used to harvest them off the sides of the Thompson River where they grew wild.

Gnome
Mod

hg,

Do not cut the new shoots, not this season or the next. After two years you may begin with a light harvest. Subsequent harvests will be more substantial.

You also need to do something about their being so shallow, They should have been planted about 8 inches deep in a well prepared bed. It has been a while since we set ours out but if I recall we dug a trench about a foot deep and placed about 4 inches of compost then a little loose topsoil. The roots are then planted and covered with a few inches more of loose topsoil. As the stalks elongate the trench is gradually backfilled.

This is a lot of work I know but it will repay you in the future with a long lasting and productive bed.

Norm

hg
Newly Registered

Gnome wrote:hg,

Do not cut the new shoots, not this season or the next. After two years you may begin with a light harvest. Subsequent harvests will be more substantial.

You also need to do something about their being so shallow, They should have been planted about 8 inches deep in a well prepared bed. It has been a while since we set ours out but if I recall we dug a trench about a foot deep and placed about 4 inches of compost then a little loose topsoil. The roots are then planted and covered with a few inches more of loose topsoil. As the stalks elongate the trench is gradually backfilled.

This is a lot of work I know but it will repay you in the future with a long lasting and productive bed.

Norm
Norm,
thanks for replying with helpful tips for my asparagus. :D May i add you as a friend in my forum profile?

Gnome
Mod

hg,

You are very welcome, glad to help. Please see my PM.

Norm

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”