gman1
Newly Registered

Great find: rain barrel I found for my garden!

[img]https://bp3.blogger.com/_G33KqNSwjwM/SEBGm0HK35I/AAAAAAAAAAU/zK_4lhrwsNs/s400/Watersaver_DSC0120.jpg[/img]

[img]https://bp3.blogger.com/_G33KqNSwjwM/SEBFj0HK34I/AAAAAAAAAAM/H6LbyPdRJjY/s320/WaterSaver_DSC0020.jpg[/img]

Check out the [url=https://garden-pond-accents.blogspot.com/2008/05/great-new-pictures-of-my-rain-barrel.html]rain barrel on my blog![/url]

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Great idea to collect rain water.

This is the brand of rain barrel I have-
https://www.sprucecreekrainsaver.com/

Mine aren't nearly as attractive as the one you bought.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Is that t/c or plastic? How many gallons does it hold? Or litres, or whatever.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I like them well enough, I have 5 or 6 but don't buy that brand. I've been receiving them as gifts from my husband. They are ok looking and they do hold 54 gallons but... there's are more affordable brands out there that hold more water that are equally as functional. Poke around online and you'll find quite a few in the traditional barrel shape. Your city might also have some sort of a program where they offer rain barrels at deep discounts to homeowners. Our City offers recycling bins and composters to residents at a reduced rate but no rain barrels yet. Also too, you could always make your own and add a spigot. How much does a spigot cost? $5? Supposedly you can pick up barrels for free from some chain restaurant called Peppes. Toss an old window screen over the top to keep out debris and hold it down with a brick and you're home free for under $10.

Check out this design that holds 80 gallons and has both a spigot and a place to hook up a hose-
https://www.rainsaverusa.com/

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

it works.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That's a great idea too because those would have lids so the mosquitoes couldn't breed in the water. I've got six 44 or maybe they're 45-gallon Roughnecks in the basement for additional rain water storage. I have this really high-tech system to fill them. I attach a garden hose to the spigots of the rain barrels above grade and run the hose down through the window wells to the trash cans. When they start to fill up, I shout out through the window to a kid to turn the water off.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I was wondering whether gman1's were terra cotta or plastic? I don't imagine t/c onces would last long in MI seasons.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

They've got to be some sort of plastic. No way would terra cotta survive so much as even one winter in the Midwest. They'd probably be leakers too.

JennyC
Green Thumb

I'm at a real rain barrel loss. I'd picked out my victim -- the Chinese buffet where we were regulars, was going to hit them up for old food-grade barrels next time we went in. Then tonight, we go out and they're closed, as in permanently!

I'm going to have to rethink my rain barrel strategy. Fortunately (or not), I have some time as the hot dry has arrived again.

We may recover from this drought, but I don't know when. :cry:
Jenny C

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Oh, that's the pits. Any Pepe's restaurants around?

JennyC
Green Thumb

No chain restaurants of any sort. Mom and Pop types here, with a smattering of fast food.

I may have to go further afield.

Good news, though; a fellow literacy council member is going to save all her coffee grounds for me! Apparently, they go through a lot.
Jenny C

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Jenny, have you ever sat through a council meeting of any sort? Yeah, you need lots of caffeine from whatever source. zzzzzzz
Happy Gardening,
Wing

JennyC
Green Thumb

Oh, but yes. Today we hashed out our budget for FY09, then went straight into an executive board meeting. Fun, fun, fun. I went for ice cream over caffeine and went to the meeting armed with a root beer float (one of the smattering of fast food places is an A&W).
Jenny C

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well, if you ever decide to make your own biodiesel--there's your first source of oil!
Happy Gardening,
Wing

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”