Rowlett Don
Newly Registered

Too much nitrogen

Last year I thought that I would be smart and add some dried cow manure to my garden. I put a light coat of it on top of the ground and tilled it in. Needless to say, that I didn't count on how much of a impact on the garden it would have. I now have very big, green and healthy plants, just no blooms. I will either have to water down the nitrogen until its dispersed or find something that will counter it. I didn't do any manure in my hanging baskets so they are fine. I am going to miss the spring fruit from the tomato plants but I am going to try the Heatwave and Solar Fire for the summer/fall

Franco

I forget which nutrient/element that expedites flower growth but i do know that I was told to give my tomatoes fish emulsion fertilizer for that.

I'm not 100& positive, but fairly close. I'm sure someone else will give input.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

https://www.living-learning.com/faq/npk.htm

To counter the effects of Nitrogen in your garden add a higher C:N ratio organic like leaves when you add the manure. This will aid your plants in flowering. According to the link above flower set is not stimulated by one of the three majour nutrients that plants need.

Generally speaking plants flower when they are stressed a little. But, the chemical pathway will be a lot more complicated than that. I think I remember reading somewhere that Mg is involved. Anyway, leaves contain a plethora of micronutrients that also help all plants an their high C:N ratio will tie up excess nitrogen and keep it in the system for future use.

It will also stabelize your soil from weathering.
Feed the soil, not the plants.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

opabinia51 wrote:https://www.living-learning.com/faq/npk.htm

...According to the link above flower set is not stimulated by one of the three majour nutrients that plants need.

Umm...Opa...I went to the site you recommended, and this is what it said:

"P = Phosphorus 7-9-5
"The second major element in plant nutrition, phosphorus is essential for healthy growth, strong roots, fruit and flower development, and greater resistance to disease." [emphasis added]

:?:

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Lauraluvstomatoes

No bllossoms too much nitrogen

Cynthia, I think we have cross-posts on this topic!!

All, from reading this post and an earlier one about no blossoms, I have concluded my containers have too much nitrogen in them. I have 5 lb containers with one tomato plant each. Just a few have blossoms, the rest don't. SO . . . do we 1) start over with new dirt (not sure I can afford that); 2) add leaves (opa's previous post on this string); 3) is bone meal an antidote to too much nitrogen? How much put in per container; or 4) is it curtains for my plants? Thanks! My son and I are watching the pots like hawks and one little blossom would make our day!

- Laura
Lauraluvstomatoes
Indiana

Roger

Lauraluvstomatoes -
It may be you will just have to wait a bit longer to see blooms. The plants bloom as a result of 'thinking' they have reached maturity - but if there is an abundance of food readily available for it, it will not 'get the desire' to propogate itself, as it sees no need to yet. I am sure it will eventually get into bloom production: it just may take some time. On the one hand, waiting for blooms is trying on the patience. On the other hand, if your plant is growing large and healthy, when the blooms do begin, the plant should produce nicely given that it is larger and capable of holding a heavy crop.

Oh, and from another of your posts I read earlier : about an electric toothbrush used as a pollination device. You just sort of mimic what a bee does : lightly run inside a flower, to get some of the pollen from one flower on the bristles, then repeat onto another flower on the plant, and then another, and so on and so on. You can also use a Q-tip. It can get tedious, hand pollinating...

Lauraluvstomatoes

Thank you Roger . . . from what you are saying, the truism a watched pot never boils may be applicable here. I am going to give it 10 days and log back for advice on if still flowerless. I will let you know either way! On the happy side, I had a business trip and came back to see a bunch of baby peppers : ) For the few plants I do have with flowers, in case there are lazy bees, is there any harm to the toothbrush approach (other than my neighbors thinking I am nuts?) Thanks Laura
Lauraluvstomatoes
Indiana

nan1234

Add bone meal to balance the soil nutrition in high nitrogen. Bone meal also provide abundant calsium for healty and tasteful fruits.

If the flower falls with fruit setting, using an electric tooth brush is the most effective and effcient way in early season when bees are not presented yet. Electric tooth brush can also shake off aphids gathered arround the flower and flower stems. I use it once or twice every week and every flower turns into a fruit. During summer hot days, bees will do the pollination and lady beatles will eat the aphids. Grow your plants in organic way to keep benifical insects.

Lauraluvstomatoes

Thank you so much - how deep in soil should I mix bone meal? Should I take plant out of pot (they are pretty big) or mix in as deep as I can without disrupting plant? Also, I have put crushed organic eggshells around my plants per advice from my mom (who has been growing an organic garden for as long as I can remember . . . hers is in-ground and she thinks the containers are challenging in a different way)!!
Lauraluvstomatoes
Indiana

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”