cliffe h
Newly Registered

conifares?

Hi this is the first time ive done this so please excuse my spelling,i have a row of Conifares(don't know how to spell it) which act like a hedge going down the full length of my garden.The trouble i am having is that am noticeing brown patches appearing in it which seems to be spreading,there is Ivy growing amongst it so don't know whether this is strangling it,if so is there anything i can do? Thanks :roll:

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Remove the ivy as best you can because it can strangle any plant and when you get the leader that comes out of the ground use Roundup to kill it but don't get it on your conifers.

https://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com

cliffe h
Newly Registered

Ok thanks will have a try :wink:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ivy can be tough to kill. I don't know that spraying your vines with RoundUp will be all that effective because of the waxy leaves and with vines the size that go up trees, there would be no way to avoid overspray even if you tried to pull the vine off the tree to lay it out on the ground to spray. I only mention this because ivy does tend to have waxy leaves that repel chemicals so gardeners who resort to spraying chemicals sometimes end up spending good money to buy chemicals that end up killing just about everything other than their target. Drift is a big issue with chemicals. Perhaps better to try your best to dig up all the roots or post a photo of the Ivy you have. Some ivies can be stump treated with chemicals. This is where an appropriate chemical is chosen and painted onto the exposed stump after a vine is cut down.

Regarding the conifers and the spreading brown patches, sometimes this is part of the life cycle of the trees. Could be a needle blight or a needle cast disease though based on your brief description. You'd really need to post really good photos for anyone to be in a position to try to figure out if there is cause for concern or not.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”