bergie42
Newly Registered

Overrun by maple tree sprouts!!

I have a lovely area in my yard which is made up basically of lots of great rocks. However, hanging over this area are about 6 maple trees and three times a year I have to hand pull every one of the cute little sprouts.

Since there are very few plants in this area, I was wondering if anyone knew of some type of herbicide I could use to get rid of them as they sprout.

I've tried RoundUp and Weed-B-Gone, but so far no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :shock:

newsunrise

I don't know that there is really anything you can do except keep pulling them out. I have the same problem in my garden because there is a constant source of seed from the maples. If you can get them while they are small they are easier to pull up cause you can bet if the sapling is 3 inches tall its root is 3 times that.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

We recommend against using herbicides here because of the detrimental effects that they have on the soil, currently we have a discussion running othe the effects of glyphosate which is the active ingredient in round up.

Anyway, the sure fire way to rid yourself of the seedlings it to go through and pull the up or clip them off at the root.

When I was a young boy my father would pay me to do just that in his nursery.

Makes great compost and this method works

Opabinia

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”