grace40
Newly Registered

growing from seed in office setting

Hi -

I am hoping that someone knows of a plant or flower that will grow in an office setting where the overhead lighting is Florescent and a little bit of window light. Is there such a creature and if so can someone let me know. Thanks!!!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Are you specifically looking for something you can start from seed, or any plant? :wink:
VAL

grace40
Newly Registered

I am hopeful that I can find something that will grow from seeds. If not perhaps you can suggest a plant.

Thanks!

grandpasrose wrote:Are you specifically looking for something you can start from seed, or any plant? :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, depending upon how much real sun you get, an african violet would be office friendly. They don't require much more than indirect sunlight, though they do prefer a north or east window. You will also need two in order for it to flower.

The easiest indoor plant I have ever come across is the philodendron. Here's some photos. https://www.greenlagoon.com/Philodendron.htm

I keep the vining variety myself: https://www.fertilizer.com/garden/houseplants/philodendrons.htm

You can find them a dime a dozen nearly anywhere, you can just keep wrapping the vines in the pot, or clip it, if you need it to stay a certain size. They need water once every two weeks it seems, and just a little of the blue juice seems to keep them happy.

Another plant I came across recently is called Grandpa's Pipe. Be warned tho - I took home a little 4" plant and in two months have an 18" tall (and wide) plant!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The best house (office) plant I know is Pothos, or Devil's Ivy. Despite the horrid name, it is a low light wonder that needs terrible abuse just to look bad and a flamethrower to kill. Nice varigation and a trailing habit makes it just the thing to stick on top of a filing cabinet...Widely available, should be able to find one at your supermarket, let alone as garden center...(Easily started from cuttings, just root in water. EASY!)

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Swedish Ivy is another, as well as peace lily (for a larger plant)
Plants in offices are of great benefit as they clean the air as well as look nice. Good luck. :wink:

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”