jeydman
Newly Registered

Tipi out of vine plants

Hi,

I'm new on this forum!
I would like to make a tipi for my kids out of climbing plants. I have four containers and four 6 foot metal rods. I will connect the top by wires and put additional wires horizontally to make a web. I am in NYC and the location is my terrace, which gets full sun in the afternoon. Please help me select a resilient plant that grows fast with large leaves. Flowers would be a plus.

I asked an online plant store and they recommended Lonicera. Is this good for my project? Is there something more suitable?

Thank you,
Julie.

NewjerseyTea

Hi jeydman,
There are lots of possibilities for your vine choices. Pole beans are the classic and you can grow them from seeds or small plants. Hyacinth bean is more colorful but pods and seeds can be poisonous if eaten in large quantities, morning glories, cardinal vine (Ipomoea x multifida), Cypress vine (Ipomoea quamoalit), black eyed susan vine (thunbergia), and my all time favorite cup and saucer vine, they really do have flowers that look like cups and saucers (Cobea Scandens). They are all annuals easy to grow from seeds. A perennial vine you might consider is the native honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens.
There are a few books out by Sharon Lovejoy you might be interested in. Google 'Sunflower Houses'.

jeydman
Newly Registered

Thank you! Wonderful info.

NewjerseyTea

You are welcome. Just be patient with most of the vines listed as they are tropicals and don't really look wonderful and full until it gets hot. Mine were always at their very best in August and September. The pole beans and Morning glories are full earlier. The Lonicera sempervirens I have are already blooming.
Good luck with your project and check back in to let us know how it's progressing.

bcomplx

I would vote for the black-eyed susan vine (thunbergia), which is now available in a lot of colors, and it grows well in containers. Best of all, it won't attract nearly as may bees as some of the other vines, so your kids won't be afraid to play in their tipi. Butterflies and hummingbirds like it, though.

Saw some plants at the local nursery the other day, already growing and ready to run, or you can grow it from seed.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Re: Tipi out of vine plants

jeydman wrote:Hi,

I'm new on this forum!
I would like to make a tipi for my kids out of climbing plants. I have four containers and four 6 foot metal rods. I will connect the top by wires and put additional wires horizontally to make a web. I am in NYC and the location is my terrace, which gets full sun in the afternoon. Please help me select a resilient plant that grows fast with large leaves. Flowers would be a plus.

I asked an online plant store and they recommended Lonicera. Is this good for my project? Is there something more suitable?

Thank you,
Julie.
Another vine to consider is Scarlet Runner Bean--the beans are edible, as well as ornamental, and the red flowers are gorgeous.
Barb and the Two Furry Speedbumps

Return to “Perennials”