Jason
Newly Registered

Grass problems

Hi everyone,

I have joined the forum hoping you can solve a problem that is driving me crazy...!

I laid new turf Sep 2004, over the following months it took hold really well and when I started to cut it it was plush green and beautiful to look at, however over the last two months there have been brown squares appearing in perfect symmetry, first of all their were three, and then on the last cut another three appeared, Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would love to recapture my lawn...

I have posted 2 pics below

Thanks

[url]https://www.imagehdd.com/pic.php?u=20xwqLd&I=53[/url]

[url]https://www.imagehdd.com/pic.php?u=20xwqLd&I=54[/url]

Grey
Greener Thumb

It looks to me like you may have a hidden patio or patio stones under your turf? It's nice and hot these days and stones can cook your roots, which could be your problem.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

How strange! :? Was this sod placed over an old existing lawn? How long have you lived in this spot - do you know the history of the yard?
Just need a little more info to go on first. :wink:
VAL

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I agree Grey - it looks just like a sidewalk! If the stones or concrete is no longer there, perhaps there is high concentration of something left behind that is burning the grass. :wink:
VAL

Jason
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies...

The history of the garden is that it was a wasteland.. I used a high concentrate weedkiller and left it alone for about 18 months ( the weedkiller said 12 but I left it longer) then I used a good quality topsoil of at least 100mm depth, as for the path issue, I vaguely remember their being paving slabs laid there, if this is the case is it going to be the case that I will have to remove the turf, dig a deep channel to replace the soil and turf....?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Do you know if the paving stones are still there? If they are, you will have to remove them. If they are no longer there, I would get a sample of the soil underneath the soil you have added in these spots and get it tested to find out what may be in the soil. You may be able to rebalance it with additions to soil, rather than having to replace the soil itself.
However, if the soil has been poisoned in some way (I.e. petroleum product) you will have to replace the soil.
Good Luck! :wink:
VAL

Jason
Newly Registered

Thanks again all...

Will try the above ( when I get the time) and let you know how I got on...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”