cmster
Newly Registered

Placement of first ever vegetable garden

I'm looking for some tips on where I should place my first ever vegetable garden. I can't decide whether I should build a planter box, or just use edging and mulch or patio tiles and planter boxes. Does anyone have any advice? I don't want it to look too out of place.

I've attached a picture of my backyard. The chain linked fence is the north side and as you can see, I have a few mature trees (which I love and are there to stay).
Attachments
IMG_20170426_175153.jpg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

You're going to want to put it where you get the most sunlight during the day for starts. You also want to orient your plants so taller stuff won't block the sunlight to shorter plants if your garden only gets 4-5 hours sunlight a day. Most of my garden gets a good 10 hours of sunlight a day since the largest tree that shaded my yard was lost in Hurricane Katrina and was blown over.

Also, it is a good thing to know either where you live or at least what Planting Zone you are in for more specific information.

cmster
Newly Registered

Since I have trees, it seems like the place that gets the most sun is actually that fire pit in the middle of the yard. :/

I live in London, Ontario, Canada.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

cmster wrote:Since I have trees, it seems like the place that gets the most sun is actually that fire pit in the middle of the yard. :/

I live in London, Ontario, Canada.
I may be time to move the fire pit then. I want to have no less than 6 or more hours of sunlight hitting my garden if possible. How you make your garden is up to you, whether you want a raised bed type situation or basic in-ground like mine. I have traditional rows with five of them about 45 ft. long with 3 trellises for climbing plants like pole beans, Japanese yard long beans, Cucumbers, etc. I also have one raised bed I use for root crops like beets, garlic, kohlrabi, etc. The soil stays nice and loose in a raised bed since you make them just big enough to be able to reach your plants without walking on the soil and compacting it.

To see what you can plant this time of year, check with local nurseries or simply find out what Planting Zone you are in over the net and see what they recommend.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”