Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: WHEN to harvest Cantaloupe

UPDATE #5

I learned something new, when cantaloupe gets cracks in the body around the stem end it will be very ripe soon. This one weighs 9 lbs. 10 ounces and 8 3/8" diameter.

Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Re: WHEN to harvest Cantaloupe

I am FAR from melon expert - still trying to GROW them, really. But according to my experience with undersized ones, they do sometimes crack from drought-flood conditions when they are in fact not quite ripe.

I've had some success with those by wrapping with one or two layers of paper napkin or for larger fruits, cotton bandanna.

Typically, without wrapping, some stray fruitfly or ant or maybe even mold spores can get in the crack and they can spoil rapidly.

I didn't know you could ripen melons in the refrigerator, so I would wrap them and put them in a basket on the counter.

Did you mention what variety these are? I'm enjoying your enjoyment of them. :D

I believe only cantaloupe variety I'm growing this year is Honey Rock Melon? I also have Snow Leopard which I think is a kind of honeydew and Korean Melon which is supposed to be a prolific bright yellow oval-shaped smaller melons with light color along the grooves of the lobes.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”