lou12
Newly Registered

Deposits at the end of my downspout

Every year at about the end of September, I have this deposit at the end of my downspout. Does anyone have any idea what the are? Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5796.JPG
IMG_5798.JPG

applestar
Mod

Re: Deposits at the end of my downspout

Wow that is unusual. Do you do anything to get rid of them? How long do they stay there? Is it sunny/get any sun at that location?

Considering the various sizes of the sac-like shapes, I'm going to guess this is some kind of fungus. Maybe slime mold.

I think your answer will confirm or reject my guess.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

How about poke around in the mass and see what it looks and smells like then? And post some after photos?
Paul F

applestar
Mod

Hey, maybe it's Nostoc?
Nostoc: A green, jelly-like substance growing in lawns | MSU Extension
https://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/nostoc_a_g ... g_in_lawns

Within the category of “What is it?” lives a strange-looking organism called Nostoc. During summer 2014, several people brought in samples of a green jelly-like substance growing in their lawns. After a bit of digging, I identified the stuff as Nostoc sp., a genus of cyanobacterium formerly classified as blue-green algae. Nostoc has many colorful names including witches’ butter, mare’s eggs and meadow ears, among others.
It looks like specifically Nostoc pruniforme -- the ones also called "Mare's eggs" 8)

...which led me to this -- I knew I had seen that term before :> :lol:
The Mare's Egg by Carole Spray The Mare's Egg
by Carole Spray
Permalink: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/0920656072
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”