Owen_84
Newly Registered

Best Bonsai Tool Brands?

Hi all,
Really enjoying getting into bonsai and ready to upgrade to some decent tools. I bought some off eBay that were cheap but aren't really that good (rust starting to show). I have read that stainless steels tools are the best and also Japanese tools. Does anyone have any suggestions?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Best Bonsai Tool Brands?

Get some steel-wool and clean your tools. Good carbon-steel tools cannot be beaten. Stainless is softer and eight times the price.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

imafan26
Mod

The Japanese tools are the best, however, Tom is right, tools need to be cared for. They should be cleaned and oiled.
The most useful tools I have had
A turntable
A fork with a long handle. Cheap but works nicely or you can get the bonsai fork.
medical grade 6 inch tweezers for pulling out weeds
needle nose plier for cutting small wire.
concave cutters small and medium (I don't have large trees)
Wire cutters for larger wire
A good butterfly shear
Bonsai broom
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Owen_84
Newly Registered

Hi Guys and thanks for the replies! I did end deciding to get some some new Japanese Steel tools from OSUKA https://osukabonsai.com I got a mix of Stainless Steel and Carbon Steel tools so hopefully I can report back with some findings! I had also read that the Carbon Steel are harder/stronger and easier to sharpen so thanks for helping me out on that. What is the best way to sharpen the tools? Thanks!

imafan26
Mod

Mainly keep them oiled and clean especially the scissors and cutters. The shears can be sharpened with a stone, steel or a rotary tool if you know how to do it.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Owen_84
Newly Registered

imafan26 wrote:Mainly keep them oiled and clean especially the scissors and cutters. The shears can be sharpened with a stone, steel or a rotary tool if you know how to do it.
Thanks! I do have a little dremel style tool that I was trying some deadwood work with! I never thought of that for sharpening. I will have a practice on my old tools. I'm pretty sure it came with some attachments like that :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”