Rovingginger
Newly Registered

Ostrich fern has sad, blackened/wilty fronds. Help!

I have an ostrich fern that I keep potted(I don't have a yard). Recently some of the fronds have become black and wilted at the ends. I had heard it was nearly impossible to overwater these but maybe I managed to do it? You can see in the attached photos how miserable it looks.

I am pretty new to any sort of greenery so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Re: Ostrich fern has sad, blackened/wilty fronds. Help!

How long have you had it and how big is the container? Ostrich fern is a big plant and likes to spread, so I wonder if it might be getting pot bound?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Rovingginger
Newly Registered

I have had it probably a week or so, and it had what looked to be a pretty big pot for its size. However it did have a small offshoot that sprouted too.

I repotted it into a self-watering pot that's probably 50% bigger -- hopefully this helps? I was worried it could be root rot but the roots did not smell, although they were brownish.

applestar
Mod

Was it freshly dug? Maybe it's just losing frond tips that had been supplied by the roots that got cut off....?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Rovingginger
Newly Registered

It probably was relatively freshly dug, I got it at a plant sale. Is that normal if roots are disturbed/broken?

Rovingginger
Newly Registered

Sadly it seems like the cause was root rot. When I looked closer at the roots they were all dark brown or black -- basically indistinguishable from the dirt around them. I did cut off an offshoot that had enough of its own root system that I'm hoping it lives.

Silly question: there is at least one earthworm that came with the plant in its pot. Can I put it in another plant pot without it spreading the root rot fungus?

Rovingginger
Newly Registered

And it lives!!
image.jpg
I can't believe it. I left it in the pot for a while after chopping its fronds. I thought I saw signs of life so on a whim I repotted. Few days later... I understand why these are invasive.

applestar
Mod

Yay! :clap:

Return to “Perennials”