Russbrumit
Newly Registered

2nd year for my asparagus

Well I was happy to see that it came back . So hard not being able to take some but I've been strong . Lol. Does it looks normal ?

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Re: 2nd year for my asparagus

Looks great! I'd plant you a row of tomatoes down the center of that pretty little bed! Tomatoes and asparagus are great friends!

If you start seeing any black and red beetles with 6 white squares on its back, or dark grey eggs on the spears, pick the beetles off, and crush the eggs.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 935 times
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Vanisle_BC
Green Thumb

Those asparagus beetles come in two colour schemes, one predominantly black like Lindsaylew's picture, the other red with stripes but the same size & shape. I bash them off with a finger-thumb flick and that seems to do the job. The eggs are REALLY tiny, less than a mm long and thin as a hair. If there are many I just pinch off the parts of the fern they're on.
"The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior." H. D.Thoreau. (Me too.)

Russbrumit
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tips

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Sometimes mine have stripes!

I get the same variant in cucumber beetles! Some are spotted, and some are striped!

Asparagus beetles are way easier to control than cucumber beetles!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”