dougie247
Newly Registered

3 potted plants

Just moved into a property that has a garden thats been ignored for years.. At one point someone did love the garden as have found 3 potted plants that are still somewhat alive. can anyone help me identify them? Im a begginer when it comes to gardening so could use some help!

Cheers Dougie

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Re: 3 potted plants

#1 looks like a hydrangea, and #2 looks like a rhododendron - neither of which is going to do too well long term in a pot.

#3, not sure..

applestar
Mod

#3 is some kind of fern. Agree 1st one is hydrangea -- big leaf type, I think. :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

dougie247
Newly Registered

Thanks guys.. Im guessing they must of been in the pots for a couple of years at least.. As I sort out the garden I'll plant them in a better spot. Thanks again :)

KeyWee

Are you sure the first one isn't a climbing hydrangea? It sure looks like the one I have. In that case, you may want to plant it in an appropriate spot for a vine :D

applestar
Mod

I didn't know there's such a thing as climbing hydrangea -- looked it up and they grow aerial roots? I wonder if there's an easy way to test -- maybe wrap a section like you were air layering?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

I agree with previous named 1 and 3. I've seen 2 before, but having a hard time placing...

Schefflera Is the first thing that came to mind, because of the leaf grouping, but the stem looks wrong, and they tend to have pointed leaves.
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Lindsaylew82
Mod

The more I look, the more I think it IS Schefflera. It needs love!
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

Return to “Plant Identification”