NorainNJ
Newly Registered

How to plant veggies with limited sun

Hello all, new to the forum and grateful for any practical tips. I'm blessed with a lot of mature oaks around my house but unfortunately, this limits sunshine needed for veggies to grow. My best spot is on a concrete area to the side of my house. In the past I've done several pots but I'm looking for a more convenient method. Also, having the plants somewhat raised might be beneficial as the concrete gets very hot. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Nora

Mr green
Green Thumb

Re: How to plant veggies with limited sun

Most plants prefers alot of sun, but many leafy greens like lettuce can be grown in shady spots.

Maybe you can build raised beds on the concrete area?
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished - Lao Tzu

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Have you considered growing garlic? My sister in law grows garlic in a very shady spot and the garlic grows really well.
Also peas aren't needy for sun. I have a ton growing right under my shed where it's barely sunny at all.
Zone 8b, Canada

Mr green
Green Thumb

Garlics is a good tip! They are also good companion plants with Apple trees they say, if you have any.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished - Lao Tzu

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I pot the large containers (16" ) on pallets on side and back drive. Given this, they drain, and a side benefit is up a few inches to make tending easier.
Have fun!
Susan

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: back to cental az for now, elevation 5141, lat 34.57

I'm going to be doing some gardening this year in a new location where it's a little shadier than I'm used to. It may get the 6 hour minimum or maybe not. So I looked online and found that there is a saying "roots and shoots" for shade, meaning plants grown for their roots and their leaves (shoots) might work ok with a little less sun. I'm sure there are exceptions though. So, things grown for their fruits (squash, beans etc ) need more sun. Guess I'll see!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”