takemori
Newly Registered

I picked up a dying tree - chances / what to do to revive?

Hi everyone, Yesterday morning I picked up a tree, it was growing inside a wall between two shop houses approximately on the level of a 3rd floor. It was not growing in the ground etc, one of those trees who's seed got into the wall and it started to grow. I think it dwarfed itself but may be not.

It looked ok, may be even healthy from down below where I walk. The building got demolished few days ago and tree was removed from the wall with the root ready to be thrown away, I asked construction workers if i can take it and they gave it to me. It was with naked roots for a maximum of 48 hours, I took it in the morning when i had to go to work so i just put the roots into a plastic bag with water and rushed out, in the evening i bought some soil and covered some of the roots, and i will buy more shortly today.

I am not very good at gardening i am growing two small lemon trees from seeds (doing good) and a bunch of tomatoes (not so good), I am in Singapore.

Please advice. Is there a chance, is it going to die for sure? thoughts? The root has a very peculiar shape it is made of mostly lots of thin roots due to the need of penetrating the brick wall before I guess.
Attachments
Current state
Current state

webmaster
Site Admin

Re: I picked up a dying tree - chances / what to do to revi

The tree looks a little stressed but it could come back. Give it time outside, with sunshine. If you're keeping it indoors that's probably going to stress it- trees are meant to be outdoors not in.

takemori
Newly Registered

I have a big balcony.... I am keeping it there, if it survives i will buy a huge pot and plant it into it, now it is planted into soil but within plastic bag.

takemori
Newly Registered

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Tree is doing... mmm. that's a tough one, I think it may survive - the reason i think so is that even though almost all original leaves fell off, and it is fairly naked now, on bottom branches the very small green leaves seem to be growing - or it is an illusion and they will also fall off in few days...

takemori
Newly Registered

Not a single leaf fell of within last two weeks!!! and when I was writing last time i had two small leaves growing but now even branches that seemed dried have new leaf forming. Giant pot is expected to be delivered tmr and finally it will be in a pot :)
Attachments
IMG_20151108_081835.jpg

takemori
Newly Registered

Thank you Marlingardener :)

By the way - is there anyway i can identify what tree is this? I am surprised but i wasn't able to find like one destination web site where by uploading a leaf photo it would give me names or something modern in its execution like google images :)

I suspect this is close to ficus?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, looks like ficus.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

takemori
Newly Registered

I think many of potted plants should be jealous of a pot size :)
(on a right - a lemon tree that i sprouted from a seed of a supermarket organic lemon)
Attachments
12107590_585102838325494_540073249_n.jpg

takemori
Newly Registered

Here is an update. Tree seems to be doing fine. Not sure what is normal growth speed and should it be completely green by now or what I have is a positive indication, but at least there are three times more leafs now ;)
Attachments
IMG_20151206_084744.jpg

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”