DrQuincy
Newly Registered

Is raised decking more expensive than normal decking?

Hi
Is raised decking much more expensive to get that normal decking (including fitting)?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

It depends a bit on what you want for skirting and steps but generally raised decks are not substantially more money than decks at or just above grade with the same surface area and materials. Their biggest virtue is that they can make future repairs a bit easier but here in North America I am perpetually trying to talk my clients out of raised decks (they are enormously popular here). In my design practice I try to integrate the garden with views from within the house; reasoning, in part, that within the house is where the clients actually spend the bulk of their time. A raised deck of any size pushes the view from within too far out into the property and ruins the integration of house and garden that I'm after. They can also be difficult to effectively integrate with the architecture of the home. Higher decks also create rather difficult spaces beneath them. In the U.S. it not uncommon to see decks two or more meters above grade.

Newt
Greener Thumb

I agree with Maine Designer. We have a sliding door to our back yard and it's 3 steps down to the ground. Instead of a raised deck we have a landing where you step out, then the steps down to the ground where there is a patio. When we are on the patio we feel more a part of the garden instead of above it.

Newt

Return to “Landscaping”