You are getting some good info. Sometimes conflicting, but that is typical when you ask a bunch of gardeners for advice.
I wonder if you are ready for my kind of random gardening mania?
...when trying anything different, I would only try it on a few but not all, and if I have more than one of a kind of a plant, try different techniques on different ones, using what I think would most likely work on the favorite, and least stressful on the most stressed (diseased, least infested, loosing leaves, etc.) -- strong fertilizer, pruning, and repotting (and full sun) are stressful.
In addition to what I've already mentioned regarding aggregate texture of the container soil, I believe in relying on healthy soilfoodweb even in containers and not so much on wiping out the living organisms. There are ALWAYS good organisms and bad. Even if you start with a clean slate, nature abhors vacuum, as they say.
I like using commercially available from reputable sources (manufacturers as well as sellers who will store them properly), but mostly I like to make my own using the commercial sources to add biodiversity and as inoculant. Bokashi fermenting and and vermicomposting are good substitute for backyard composting of kitchen scraps and yard waste.
I put earthworms and red wigglers in every container and they also freely move from the garden into and out of the containers since I put them on the ground and I DO NOT put rubble in the bottom of the containers "for drainage" which would hinder their migration. "Rubble in the bottom for drainage" is considered largely a myth, though I now believe there is a way to do this more effectively -- I think it was a technique used in a specific way that became misinformed. Also badly draining/easily compacting soilmix will still become compacted above the rubble and become clogged.
I'm convinced adding aerating side
vent holes in plastic containers is effective and am starting to put this to practice with all of my containers. (See photos below)
I use AACT (actively aerated compost tea) -- occasionally following the clean equipment protocol, but mostly just adding ingredients and endlessly aerating the bucket. My bucket currently contains stinging nettles and willow leaves and chopped branches. I sometimes add a scoop of organic fertilizer to quick culture the fungal and bacterial microbes. I water with UCG (used coffee grounds) soaked in rain water and spray with milk and yogurt whey diluted 1:8 and water with spoiled milk diluted to 1:20 or so. While these plants are indoors for the winter, I water them with diluted leftover beverages like coffee, tea, juice, rinse water of finished beverage containers.
I also tend not to use any pesticides. But this is difficult indoors where there are no alternatives like specialized beneficial predators. I also don't use fungicides and I CAN use milk spray and reduce humidity better indoors.
I'll attach a collage -- random photos of some of my container plants I took this morning: