FauxBoho
Newly Registered

Help with Aloe plant cuttings

Hi everyone,

I'm not much of a green thumb but I found this lovely Aloe cut off the other day & would like to plant it. Is there anything special i need to do? Do I cut down the stalk & dry it out? I don't want it to go mouldy as I have had the bottom in water for 2 days as I had to buy a pot & soil.

Thanks
Attachments
aloe3.jpeg
aloe3.jpeg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
aloe2.jpeg
aloe2.jpeg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
aloe.jpeg
aloe.jpeg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 1582 times

imafan26
Mod

Re: Help with Aloe plant cuttings

Once the end has callused off it can be planted. Just keep it in the shade and out of the wind for a week. That should be enough and then plant it in a well draining mix.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

FauxBoho
Newly Registered

Thanks Imafan,

I actually got impatient thinking no one would respond (sorry!) so I kept investigating and decided to cut of the bottom leaves & the older woody stem. It looks like this now. Hopefully I haven't ruined it.
Attachments
aloe4.jpeg
aloe4.jpeg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 1576 times

Sweyn

FauxBoho wrote:Thanks Imafan,

I actually got impatient thinking no one would respond (sorry!) so I kept investigating and decided to cut of the bottom leaves & the older woody stem. It looks like this now. Hopefully I haven't ruined it.
You can try planting it like that, straight away. That's worked for me, a few times over many years.

Central
Newly Registered

Beautiful looking aloe. I've had no problems repotting cuttings of this plant. Preferably you want the cut to heal over. I generally will leave it out of soil for a few days then simply repot it after. However that being said these are quite hardy plants that will take just fine to new rooting. The important part is making sure you give them the right soil mixture. For arguments sake you can just get a succulent mixture, that will be good enough if you don't like making your own.

Another thing I would recommend from experience is use some stakes and twine to keep her upright while she re-establishes new roots.
I'd love to see some updates on the plant. I'm sure my post is a bit too late but I figure for anyone else in the same situation reading it may help.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Sweyn,

I would let the cut end develop a callus - harden off - before potting. A freshly cut stem is susceptible to rot. Do plant in a well drained container - no pot saucer. Use a cactus mix rather than potting soil.

Good luck

:-()
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Sweyn

ElizabethB wrote:Hi Sweyn,

I would let the cut end develop a callus - harden off - before potting. A freshly cut stem is susceptible to rot. Do plant in a well drained container - no pot saucer. Use a cactus mix rather than potting soil.

Good luck

:-()
That's one way of doing it. I haven't tried that.

I have taken aloe cuttings by cutting the lower leaves off a few aloe pieces and pushing the exposed stem into soil, straight away. I always used a dry soil with grit and large grain sand, which had dried for a few days before use. That worked well in pots that were a similar size to each cutting.

It seems that there is a choice of how to do it.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”