Djmce
Newly Registered

Sucker on the END/ TIP of a vine?

Hi all, this is a bit strange.
Based in Northern Ireland.
It's July 1st 2015 and the weather's been very wet up until the past week where its been getting progressively sunny / warm.

Ive attached a video and described the problem in the video.
The vine is producing tomatoes nicely then at the very end tip of the vine there is a new plant /sucker growing

The variety is Gardeners delight and I'm growing in greenhouse. 3 plants (same variety) in one grow bag.

I had curled leaves for about a week, but these have now straightened out a fair bit since the weather's warmed up.

Any help /pointers much appreciated

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryCQbRP ... e=youtu.be

D

Djmce
Newly Registered

Re: Sucker on the END/ TIP of a vine?

*Bump

RotorBalls
Newly Registered

I'm growing the same variety and was wondering if I should snip the end of my vine as well. It's not quite as drastic as the vid. I just have some leaves on the end of the tomatoes. I don't want to take away from the tomato growth/development and was thinking I should snip the leaves off the end.

applestar
Mod

Oh shoot! I was going to take pictures of one of my tomatoes that is growing regular vines out of top of fruit trusses. It's a "not true to type" Ligria.

A couple of years ago, some of my Matt's Wild Cherry was doing it too. Those actually produced fruit trusses on those when I left them to grow.

I think the "sucker" growing above the fruits would divert nutrients and water from the fruit truss and should be clipped off unless you are curious to see what happens -- typically with any plants, growths that are located higher has "dominance" and get priority.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

applestar
Mod

Got the pics. Top left is the one I was thinking of -- Not Liguria with a leaf and possible sucker geowing from fruit truss. But when I was taking this picture, I spotted Carbon Copy in the center row growing a sucker AND a second set of floral truss at end of a fruit truss :roll:

Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”