sunbeam
Newly Registered

Succulents (Health & Identification-Please Help!)

Hello!
I am new to the plant world and I have recently bought some succulents. I live in an apartment and don't have a garden so I thought these small plants would be good for my situation. I have fallen in love, but I am just learning to I have lots of questions.

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify what types of succulents these are:

I am worried about the first succulent with little hairs because I took it home two days ago and some of the leaves have fallen off or started to look shrivelled.

The second succulent that is a dark purple has also been looking a little shrivelled since I brought it home.

The third succulent looks to be doing okay, but has some dark spots, are these normal?

They are in a west facing window, which gets lots of light, but the weather hasn't been consistent recently.
I haven't submerged them in water or re-potted them or anything yet.
Should I be watering the soil or misting the plant?
Should I take them away from the window for now, as some days the window is hot and full of sun and others it is cool and shady?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, and I don't want them to die. :(

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank-you if you took the time to read my post :D

NitsaPitsa
Newly Registered

Hi there!
I believe all three of them are different types of Echeveria but there are so many succulents in different shapes and colors that it's hard for me to be 100%. Regardless of the species, succulents generally like direct sun, as long as it's not all day. If the window is facing west, I'm sure the sunlight is not the issue. Go with more sun than less, if that's helpful at all.

Have you watered at all since you got them? I definitely wouldn't submerge them in water. They need very little water to survive. I don't mist my indoor succulents at all because I have had problems with mildew in the past. Keep humidity low with good airflow, maybe open the window whenever the weather is nice and warm.

I water about every two weeks, give or take, whenever the soil is bone dry all the way through. Make sure you don't overwater and don't water them when they're baking in the sun. Water early in the morning or at night, when the sun is not directly on them, as it may burn your plants as the water evaporates.

My advice is to stick your finger in the soil and see if there's any moisture in there. If it feels completely dry, give them a good soak and then don't do it again for a couple weeks. If it feels wet, then the problem may be too much water, in which case just leave them alone until they dry out. If leaves start turning yellow or mushy and falling off, it's definitely an overwatering problem. Black spots usually mean root rot or mold, but you said dark, not black, right? If the dark spots are just a mild discoloration, then it's probably just a little sun burn. Some plants need to be weened into direct light if they're not used to it, but it won't kill them, just discolor them for a while. Purple succulents are low in chlorophyll so they actually lose their pretty coloration when they get too much sunlight. Again, it won't kill them, just wash the color out.

They also like high temperatures so if your plants are near an AC unit, you may want to move them. You can also try repotting them in a terracotta or clay pot, that's the best for succulents and cacti. Just make sure you use a succulent friendly soil, not normal potting soil. Something rocky and dry with good drainage. Not sure what the soil is like now. Some chain stores will pot succulents in the wrong stuff and they die really fast because they can't drain the extra water fast enough.

The third succulent you have is absolutely beautiful! I have a baby version of the same one growing right now so it's nice to see what it will look like when it's grown up. Definitely post progress pictures so that we can see how they're doing. Identifying a problem can be really hard with succulents sometimes! Good luck!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”