Dg2222
Newly Registered

Brown Buds: Help

Hello,

I planted an apple tree from Home Depot about two weeks ago. While I have been watering fairly heavily every three days or so, I noticed some of the buds have turned brown.

The tree is 5 foot tall and has not even come close to leafing out. The buds that are still light green are about the size of a dime or so. I live in downstate NY. Please advise.

Thanks.

The tree has

applestar
Mod

Re: Brown Buds: Help

Give us more details -- what variety apple tree? What kind of soil? Did you add anything to the planting hole?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

JONA
Mod

Also Dg
Was it in a container or bare root and did it show any sign of bud movement.
John

Dg2222
Newly Registered

Not sure what type of tree it is: the label merely said fruto and had a picture of a red apple.

The soil is very sandy/rocky as I live on a lake but I used potting soil.

Dg2222
Newly Registered

Also the tree came in a container, any advice? Should I water more, water less, get pesticides? What do brown buds normally mean.

JONA
Mod

"Dg
Brown buds usually mean that they are dying or dead.
Scrape the wood near these buds and see if it still green underneath. If it is then it's a case of just wait and see what happens.
If it is brown below the bark layer then there is something seriously wrong.
It could be canker or a root problem.
Providing the soil is kept damp I think all you can do at present is be patient and see if the buds grow away and the tree recover.
John

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”