dawnpet69
Newly Registered

Taking over - What is it ?

20150504_102039[1].jpg
20150504_102021[2].jpg
Can anyone help me, searched everywhere on the web and cant find it through my descriptions, I thought it may be an ivy of some kind as it crawls along the ground, I can pull it up from the ground but it just snaps off and then regrows, it pops up everywhere litle bit by little bit and its taking over a big section of my garden, its currently flowering, flowers a white with purple on the petals, any help would be much appreciated I would really like it to gooooooooooooooooooooo. Thankyou so much
Attachments
20150504_102045[1].jpg

applestar
Mod

Re: Taking over - What is it ?

It looks like periwinkle (vinca minor). I made the "mistake" of buying the patented variegated one with purple flowers (three plants in a tiny pot) and it is trying to take over too. It's laughable that they came with a statement that the plant is patented and propagating the plant is illegal. :roll:

Before I realized this, DH brought home a clump of plain green leaves one and planted it in the back yard and that one, too is threatening to take over my native shade plant garden. Ugh! :evil:

I ruthlessly rip them out -- you have to find where they touched down and formed what I call "outposts" with deep and tough root systems. The young satellites from those are not too hard to pull up, but those need a digging tool. Roots pull out easier out of wet soil rather than breaking.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I call it "forest killer." It takes over shady areas, choking out all the native wildflowers. I hate the stuff. Just keep pulling remembering that it can set down roots every where the stem touches the ground, so you have to follow along and up root all those spots.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

This flower is not a Vinca. Are you able to add a pic of the leaves?

benali

I'd agree with purpleinopp. I've got a ton of vinca minor (myrtle) in my yard and the plant in your picture seems to have a different kind of flower. If you can post a better closeup of the leaves we can verify this one way or the other for sure. Cheers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

yeah, I thought at the time it didn't really look like vinca flowers. But the leaves behind the flowers do look like vinca leaves, so I just thought it was a different variety or something. I shouldn't have passed over the difference so lightly.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

OK. When I looked up pink periwinkle vinca, the images that came up looked like these. I'm finding "annual vinca" too which are also called "periwinkle"

I think we would be better satisfied if you could pull up a clump and show us the flowers, leaves, and the way they grow in cluster where they touch down (if that's what they are doing)....

I just came in from pulling some of the non-variegated purple periwinkle/vinca minor out and away from the shade garden bed (no way to do it all at once) so I have a better mental image of how they look.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Looks like it may be a Vinca after all. Your gut reaction was right near it, Apple! I was unaware there were other species of Vinca besides major/minor, but the suggestion given another forum looks like it may be it, Vinca difformis:
https://www.seasideplants.co.uk/plants/d ... y-pym/339/
https://www.gardenworldimages.com/Detail ... 5&TypeID=1

Going to go slice myself some humble pie...

dawnpet69
Newly Registered

Thanks to everyone trying to help, here is a picture of the flower (pinky purple rather than pink - but a hot pink on the tips of each petal if you look closely and also pics of the leaves
Attachments
20150505_163303[1].jpg
20150505_163232[1].jpg
20150505_163403[1].jpg

dawnpet69
Newly Registered

20150505_164257[1].jpg
20150505_164257[1].jpg
I pulled up loads yesterday but it is growing the other side of the fence and will no doubt penetrate my side again ! Vines everywhere......
Attachments
20150505_164317[1].jpg
20150505_164304[1].jpg

LoriR
Newly Registered

I saw this for sale at Lowe's last week and thought they should only sell it with a huge warning like a pack of cigarettes.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Some kind of periwinkle, though not the common faded-indigo-ish (aka periwinkle, they even named a color after the stuff) kind. I have a HUGE carpet of wild "common" periwinkle behind my backyard, but it stays behind the fence and makes pretty flowers, so I'm keeping it. When I saw the flower close-up, I immediately recognized the periwinkle's unique "windmill" petal pattern.
When I wait 3 months for my mango seedling to sprout, and then it damps off.
:evil:

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Did you decide it's Vinca difformis, Dawn?

Mr_bobo_

rainbowgardener wrote:Yup, I call it "forest killer." It takes over shady areas, choking out all the native wildflowers. I hate the stuff. Just keep pulling remembering that it can set down roots every where the stem touches the ground, so you have to follow along and up root all those spots.
And I put it in my garden for fun LOL.
I have 3 types. !! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
But I control it. :)
My Garden at: www.borisvrt.webs.com

Return to “Plant Identification”