blackthumbtrying
Newly Registered

Replacing bark

Hi all! As you can tell from my url, I'm trying to covert from being completely hopeless in the garden to at least being able to remember to water :-)
My question is, and probably quite obvious, I need to replace the bark in my garden. Step by step instructions, please. Is it as literal as shovelling the old stuff out and putting the new stuff in? Thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No reason to remove the old stuff. It is the part that is starting to break down and enrich your soil. I just go over it with a rake or hoe to be sure it isn't compacted, is still loose so water can get through, and then add a light layer of new on top.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

blackthumbtrying wrote:Hi all! As you can tell from my url, I'm trying to covert from being completely hopeless in the garden to at least being able to remember to water :-)
My question is, and probably quite obvious, I need to replace the bark in my garden. Step by step instructions, please. Is it as literal as shovelling the old stuff out and putting the new stuff in? Thank you
Nope, shovel new on top of old. Here is the possibility of a rub -> Brand new fresh bark mulch can have a fair bit of nitrogen in it. if its hot and steaming, use it a few inches away the the stems and trunks of plants. So's you don't cook them on accident.

Hot will pass. Life will go on.

imafan26
Mod

Add a step, if the old bark has a lot of weeds in it, take care of that too or it will continue to break through.

Return to “Landscaping”