MainVerte
Newly Registered

PonyTail Palm

Hey everybody. Nice forum! I just got what I think is a PonyTail palm and I`m really excited about it, but it seems to be a bit different than those shown in most pictures. The difference is this: the trunk(?) seems to have been chopped off and sealed with some kind of goo and all the leaves are shooting off the sides of the trunk. It appears really healthy, but will it stay this way? Will it grow? What`s with the chopping?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

It sounds like whatever you have is grafted not a true Ponytail. If this is the case it would explain the sprouting on the trunk. Whatever the trunk is is growing and will eventually kill the grafted top. Can you post a picture?

Natural Designs

By what you have said it sounds like someone has stopped it from growing taller and has forced it to grow in a stubby form

(by cutting off the top, the plant is forced to try to continue growing width wise)

hawkeye2007
Newly Registered

Pony Tail Palm

Natural Designs wrote:By what you have said it sounds like someone has stopped it from growing taller and has forced it to grow in a stubby form

(by cutting off the top, the plant is forced to try to continue growing width wise)
I'm new to this site so I'm not sure I am posting to the correct place. My question: I have a pony tail palm that I have owned for over 12 years. It is in a container outside my front door in Southern California. It bloomed for the 1st time this year and was beautiful with two large stocks. I don't know if and when I should cut off the blossoms. I have left it alone and they are now pretty dried up. Should I cut them? Also, I lifted the leaves last week and noticed another limb? growing. To my knowledge this plant has not been ever trimmed.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yes, usually once the flower is clearly dead, it's perfectly safe to remove it.

Shouldn't be anything wrong with new growth, just means it's happy.

Not sure if ponytails need trimming very often or not. I've had one, it was the most trouble-free plant I have ever had, and very patient with a dog that seemed to think taking a big mouthful of dirt out of the pot every so often was OK.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”