lovelykitty
Newly Registered

can anyone tell me what plant is this

Here is a picture of the plant I sowed couple of months ago. And I don't know what I planted. Appears dark green and shiny. please give me your feedback, even the slightest idea of what this can be. I need to know if I'm supposed to eat this or wait for it to grow further. Don't want it to go to waste.
Attachments
unknown plant in my garden.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Could it be some kind of mustard cabbage. The seedlings sort a look like that. If you break a piece of the leaf and smell it, it might give you a clue to what it is.

applestar
Mod

They do look like something in the mustard family -- that would include mustard greens, rutabaga, turnip, radishes, daikon, most Asian greens....

Do you have any idea or no clue at all? Where did you get the seeds?

lovelykitty
Newly Registered

I got the seeds fro seedsnow.com they are supposed to be heirloom seeds. I don't remember and I don't want it to get bad outside. I thought it was kale. I know they're 6 types of kale. And one looks like it. Unless they messed up and put other seeds inside and thought I wouldn't notice. the seeds come in small zip locks.

applestar
Mod

Kale is in the overall mustard family, too, though I think of them more grouped with cabbages, broccoli, cauliflower and kohlrabi.

Here are two types of kale I grew this year -- Red Russian and Dwarf Blue Curled Scotch:
image.jpg
The one on the left in you photo has leaf structure similar to the Red Russian Kale.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Looks like mustard.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO some type of mustard. Certainly edible. From that small container you won't get much. In the south we would cook that in bacon drippings. Since you do not have much cook a couple of strips of bacon - remove and drain. Toss your greens in the bacon drippings until just barely wilted. Toss greens with a chopped boiled egg and crumbled bacon. Yummy!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

In Tennessee they are called Mustard Greens.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

No Question steamed with Olive Oil and Vinegar, very nice?

Richard

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”