I'm hoping I can get a little help in deciding what to do in order to give my new tree the best chances for success. I am going to plant an "Autumn Blaze Maple".
I live in a zone 3 climate (brrrrr) and we typically have about a foot of topsoil and then clay (Red River Gumbo). I am planning on planting it at the highest part of our yard, about two feet higher than the low part (gradual slope).
My questions are these:
1) How large of a hole should I dig?
2) Should I put something under and around the tree roots to help it get established quickly. Such as mulch, peat moss, rotting banana peals :D, etc.?
3) How often should I water? Particularly in the first few months.
4) Should I add any type of fertilizer to the soil? 30-30-30 or whatever?
5) What is the best time of year to plant?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.