sullivanke
Newly Registered

Blueberry Plants- To much fertilzier or something else?

Hey, new member here :)
Planted 10 blueberries mostly in fall 2013. Tough winter here in winter 2013-2014. Had some die off. Bushes were 2-3 years at planting. Used raised beds (18" Depth). Most plants went into 50% Sphagnum moss and 50% spruce/pine mulch. Most are Northern Highbush. I ued a granular organic fert. in early spring then In early Aug, I had used a home made fish emulsion / seaweed tea I made. I used local Bunker/Menhaden (Coastal NJ) and green seaweed from river (Rinsed with freshwater and allowed to age for 1.5 - 2 months). SHortly after using, I noticed browning on the margins of the leaves. Because of this symptom coinciding with the fertilization and also being exhibited in the strawberries and raspberries I used it on, I am fairly confident I burned the roots/bushes with this fert. I think I used 1/4 cup of fish emulsion and 1/4 cup of seaweed to 2 gallons of water and I think it should have been closer to 2 tablespoons each for 2 gl??????????? Anyway, I haven't fertilized since and will not again until the spring. Is this what it looks like to you guys? Hoping it is not something else like viral for example blueberry scorch? (Sympoms looked similar to me but again, timing to much of alignment with use of fert. and burning?)
I recently put on a new layer of 3" or so of new spruce/pine mulch for this upcoming winter (Had pine nuggest, large, last year and think this mulch will cover better)........... I am hoping that the breaking down of this mulch will drain some of the nitrogen? I have been watering them more so in an attempt at trying to leach it away......
any other suggestions? THink they will leaf out and flower/produce normally next year?

I posted this in the Berry forum as well with some pictures. Use the link below to see a few pics. I posted. THANKS SO MUCH!

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 20&t=59970

sullivanke
Newly Registered

Re: Blueberry Plants- To much fertilzier or something else?

actually, Try to post the pictures here to
IMG_4510.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I suspect salt damage. I think seaweed needs to be leached a lot more. We got some seaweed that was pulled out of the ocean from a cleanup. It was dried but not washed and it ended up making the compost to saline to use. It took over two years to leach it before the compost was usable.

I would not use any more of the seaweed and I don't know how long it will take to leach it out of the soil. I would also avoid manures as much as possible since they are also usually high in salt.

We did try initially to leach the compost pile with water, but eventually had to not only water but kept on adding material to dilute it out.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

sullivanke
Newly Registered

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I filled a 5 gallong bucket with seaweed. Rinsed it pretty thoroughly in my opinion, then put it in a 15 gallon tuppwerware tub to sit.......... I suppose there were still salts in there. I had researched a bit online and seemed like that's how others had done it. WIth the fish emulsion, perhaps there were enough salts embedded within the flesh/skin/scales that really hurt the plants? Or maybe the oil from the fish? (Bunker fish htat I used are very oily).......... boy, that would be tough, two years of burned / diminished yield............. hmm.

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”