realfraggy
Newly Registered

Succulent Identification Request - looks like mini Baobab

Hi all,

I'm new to succulents, but I've done a fair share of research and I've seen all classical "Brands and Models" so to speak, and this little guy is not one of those! When I saw it, I just had to buy it, it has great potential to be trained as (mini) bonsai!

It has a thick stem, that tapers very rapidly to form a thin apex. Reminds me a bit of a BAOBAB tree. It has no branches yet. Small tongue shaped leaves are growing directly from the stem. It is about 10 cm high (4 inches). These properties make it extremely suitable for mini bonsai, as you can see in the picture :D .

I just love this little guy :() .

Could anybody identify this little "tree like" succulent? I'd like to take proper care of it (does it like full sun? watering frequency? easy to grow cuttings from? etc...).

I'm a bit worried, 'cause the lower leaves are dying and falling off.

Here's a picture:
Mister X, who am I?
Mister X, who am I?

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Re: Succulent Identification Request - looks like mini Baoba

Possible to look up realfraggy is Kienia articulta..the Candle Plant.
An apple a day.....keeps me in work.

realfraggy
Newly Registered

Re: Succulent Identification Request - looks like mini Baoba

Thanks Jona, you were right, it's a Candle Plant, googled a bit more using the name you mentioned and found "Senecio articulatus", hot dog plant and many other names.... seems there are different varieties, most of them budding off "balls" or "sausages" (now I understand why it's called hot dog plant), forming a chain of balls in the same way a Opuntia cactus forms a chain of "pads"... Quite ugly, haha. That one would only be suitable only for mini bonsai, using one segment and then only until it sprouts another sausage which would ruin the tree morphology.

I hope I'm lucky enough to have bought the "other" variety, that is the one that forms long uninterrupted trunks / branches instead of a chain of hot dogs :D.

Anyway I'm very glad to have found it. So far I like it and it's extra cool to know I got something less common, even though it may not be exactly "rare", I still find it quite exotic!

Thanks very much for your help! It indeed looks like a candle, but without your help I would never have found out. It would never have occured to me to say to myself: "hey, that looks like a candle, so let's try 'candle plant'."

Actually, I think mine looks more like a wine bottle, hehe.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”