kbow7902
Newly Registered

How to stop my yard from flooding

I recently moved into a new house and this past spring I have been fighting with flooding in my back yard. I have been trying to work with my builders about this, but I'm getting no where with them... Big shock! I have attached a picture of what my back yard looks like when it rains quite a bit. On top of this, after its finished raining, my yard remains soaked in that back portion for a long period of time.

Does anyone have any idea of the best way to try and prevent this?

Thank you!
Attachments
Yard 2.jpg

applestar
Mod

Re: How to stop my yard from flooding

I'm going to give you an unorthodox idea. I'm sure other people can give you ideas about actual earth moving kind of landscaping.

The way I see it, first step is to identify where all the water is coming from. If the water is coming from your own roof rain gutter down spout, you could do several things to redirect that water, simplest is to just attach an extender.

But what I have decided to do is to contain all the water that falls on my property and PREVENT runoff from reaching the street and the system. So I have been building raingardens at strategic areas where the rain gutter drains and where water from my and neighbors property pools as you have shown. They are planted with bog plants, shrubs and thirsty trees to soak up the water. I also dig shallow trenches called swales to redirect and sequester the water for vegetable and flower beds. I have two rain barrels that fill with rainwater, then overflow is redirected. One has two way split overflow so the rain water is distributed to the garden more efficiently, including supplying extra water to the new raspberry bed. The other one has a soaker hose connected to it to supply extra water to a planting bed and fill the swale for the bed.

Here is one of my raingardens planted with native bog and wetland plants:
Attachments
This area is planted as a butterfly garden and is a <br />portion of our Monarch Butterfly Waystation
This area is planted as a butterfly garden and is a
portion of our Monarch Butterfly Waystation
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

imafan26
Mod

Apple has made a good suggestion. It is important to find the source of the water. If your land is in a naturally low spot you can grade it higher or install either a French drain or fix the swale in the yard. Most new homes are graded by the developer and have a swale. Most municipal laws direct where water can and cannot flow.

The first thing a homeowner does around here anyway is to build a solid wall, which you have not done, and then level the yard, thereby destroying the swale, before planting grass.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Good suggestions. I certainly agree with finding out where the water is coming from. Is your neighbor's yard (behind the fence) graded down towards yours? Are there rain gutters draining down into it? Could there be leaking pipes underground? Also you want to check the drainage of your soil. Partly the water may be standing because your soil doesn't absorb it very well. Hard layers under the topsoil may be preventing water from draining away. To find out, try probing the ground with a metal rod or digging into the soil with a shovel. If so, you might be able to break up the hard layer so water won't collect, or build raised beds to help keep plant roots out of standing water.

To test your soil's drainage, dig a hole about 1 foot deep. Fill with water and allow it to drain completely. Immediately refill the hole and measure the depth of the water with a ruler. 15 minutes later, measure the drop in water in inches, and multiply by 4 to calculate how much water drains in an hour. Less than 1 inch per hour indicates very poor drainage, like your soil is very hard pack dense clay and doesn't let water in/ through very well.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO RBG and Applestar - locate the source of the water and evaluate the swale of your property and the property around you.

Reply with more information.

As a Landscape Contractor in south Louisiana boggy areas were a frequent issue. You can utilize boggy areas with wet loving plants or you can install drainage systems to divert the water.

More info please regarding the source of the water.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Return to “Landscaping”