rynthae
Newly Registered

Possible Pipevine??

Hello everyone!

I moved across the country to southwest Florida recently and I am still learning all of the local plants. I have been very interested in starting up a butterfly garden, and so I've been planting host and nectar plants for several varieties. I recently stumbled across this vine and I was wondering: is this a type of pipevine (host plant for the pipevine swallowtail)? There were no visible flowers, but the vine was extremely proliferous (growing at least ten feet tall and covering the ground where I found it). It has the signature heart-shaped leaf and tendrils seem to exhibit similar tendencies as the pipevine (wrapping together to make "braids" or "cords"). However, the vein patterns on these leaves do not seem to match pictures of most species of pipevine that I have seen.

Is this a pipevine? If so, does anyone know what species? And if it isn't a pipevine, does anyone know what it is? Whatever it is, it was growing wild near a canal down here in SW Florida, if that helps.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Re: Possible Pipevine??

i agree, the vein pattern doesn't look right. more likely an air potato (Dioscorea bulbifera).

rynthae
Newly Registered

Thanks! I looked up air potatoes and the vein pattern matches the mystery vine exactly, so that must be what it is. Looks like I'll be ordering pipevine seeds after all!

catgrass
Green Thumb

Air potato can get away from you quick. It will grow dang near anywhere, so you will definitely want to control it, or get rid of it. When I worked for an A/C company, the techs would sometimes find this growing in an attic where it had crept in through a vent, and the only light it had was from the roof vents. It's crazy!
zone 9 Southwest La.

Return to “Plant Identification”