bkelly36
Newly Registered

Ikea-bought ficus

&tI recently bought a ficus "bonsai" from Ikea and have a few questions about it. After doing a bit of research, I've discovered the amount of work and planning that goes into growing a bonsai and feel as if my tree will never be a respectable bonsai. I have no idea where and by who(m) it was grown (it says ;Made in USA" on the label) nor any idea how old it is. It is currently in a plastic flower pot and I am considering repotting it in a proper bonsai pot, but am not sure if I should put the tree through that stress just yet (I just brought it home two days ago). So I guess what I'm getting at is this:

Should I even try with this tree, or order from a trusted grower online?

If I should continue with this tree, should I repot it anytime soon, or wait until it has acclimated to its new environment? Should I also wait to begin pruning/wiring it?

I could come up with more questions, but, as this is my first post, I'll wait before asking any more.

Thanks!

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e64/bkelly36/Bonsai/bonsai_3.jpg[/img]

Gnome
Mod

bkelly36,
Should I even try with this tree,
That is entirely up to you, it is impossible to make any meaningful suggestions without seeing the tree. Keep in mind that bonsai are grown from seeds or cuttings all the time so it is possible that, with proper management, your tree could become a respectable bonsai in time.
I have no idea where and by who(m) it was grown
This is irrelevant, if it is decent material it is decent material.
nor any idea how old it is. It is currently in a plastic flower pot
Again, both irrelevant. Age is not the issue with bonsai, it is the illusion of age that matters. Of course an old specimen is further along in this regard. Bonsai are not usually potted into a proper bonsai pot until it has reached a certain level of development so a plastic pot is fine for younger material.
If I should continue with this tree, should I repot it anytime soon, or wait until it has acclimated to its new environment?
If the tree is in good health and you have a compelling reason to re-pot, now is a fine time to re-pot a Ficus. Tropicals are handled differently than most temperate trees. You are in N. America I take it?
Should I also wait to begin pruning/wiring it?
Again, without seeing a picture it is not possible to speak with any authority.
I could come up with more questions, but, as this is my first post, I'll wait before asking any more.
Don't hesitate to ask, we will do our best to help you. In the meantime please read the sticky threads at the top of the forum if you have not already done so. Here is a link that might help.

[url]https://bonsaihunk.8m.com/cultural.html[/url]

Norm

EDIT: Did you edit a picture in while I was typing? :? If not it was not loading for me at first, sorry.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”