thesnapman44

Cucumbers gone awol.

I had three young Bush Champion plants growing nicely, from seed.
The plants were about 3 inches high, with a nice leaf at either side, and the middle part had opened up nicely.
To my shock and horror, over the past three days, two of the plants have disappeared.
I have lettuce, beet and radish growing too, but as yet, they haven`t been touched.
Does anyone know, if birds are taking a liking to these young plants, or could it be something like a squirrel ?
What ever it is, could you please also tell me the best way to protect these young plants, besides me arming myself with a shotgun, and waiting out all night ?
The last cucumber plant i have, i brought inside, and sat in on the window sill, for now.
Thank you.

Lindsaylew82
Mod

Re: Cucumbers gone awol.

Just disappeared? Was there digging? Remnants?
Lindsay
Upstate, SC
USDA Zone 7b/ Sunset Zone 31

thesnapman44

There were no digging marks or bird feet markings. The only one thing left from the last plant, was a leaf. It was bent over but not snapped. The cucumbers are (were) growing in 4x4ft containers.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I plant cucumbers and bush snap beans from seed. I always have to be prepared to plant more seeds. The birds steel the seed husk from the top of the baby plants and take the plant out with it. Have you seen any slime trails from slugs or snails? They like young, tender, green things. Do you mean that you dug up the remaining plant? Just put out more seed and don't get frustrated.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Squirrel, did you say. Yes! If you have those little rodents around, there isn't much I would put past them.

Richard

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If the plants are there, but just totally wilted and collapsed, that could be the work of the squash vine borer.

If they are really disappeared, IME it is likely the work of cutworms. That's the only thing in my garden that just totally disappears little seedlings. Once they get bigger and tougher, they are not vulnerable to them. For the future, when you plant seedlings, put a stiff paper or cardboard collar around them maybe 1/4 - 1/2 " away from the stem.

https://kakahead.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... collar.jpg

https://www.organicgardening.com/sites/d ... rm-300.jpg

here's the beastie itself. You can sometimes find it if you dig in the soil around your plants.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

thesnapman44

ElizabethB wrote:I plant cucumbers and bush snap beans from seed. I always have to be prepared to plant more seeds. The birds steel the seed husk from the top of the baby plants and take the plant out with it. Have you seen any slime trails from slugs or snails? They like young, tender, green things. Do you mean that you dug up the remaining plant? Just put out more seed and don't get frustrated.
Thank you your majesty, for your kind reply :shock:
I really didnt expect a reply from someone in royalty :>
There is no evidence at all, of what to blame, but i am positive it`s squirrel.
You have to remember that i am growing these plants in 4x4 ft containers, and not in a normal garden.
The last cucumber plant i have left, i took it back outside, put a cone shaped tomato cage around it, and put a normal net curtain over it, fastening the bottom together, so it doesn`t blow off. It has done it`s job so far, and nothing has been attacking the young cucumber. Yet !! :lol: To answer your question, the whole plant, went awol.

Yes, i have sown more cucumber seeds, which are outside, and covered by clear, plastic containers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Squirrels? Ever hear of rat poison?
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

thesnapman44

Just require some advice regarding my last cucumber that is left remaining, and doing well.
As you can see by the picture, the plant is thriving since i covered it up, but is it still too small to leave uncovered ?
At what height/stage, can i be assured that the squirrels ( or any other rodent ), consider it too big to touch ?
Thanks.
Attachments
2010-11-09 20.17.17.jpg

thesnapman44

Thank you for the advice Marlingardener.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”