WiredEek
Newly Registered

What can I plant with gladiolus?

I planted a few gladiolus bulbs in the smallest bed of the garden which is big enough for other plants, but I can't find a companion plant for gladiolas. I've only found enemies. Does anything grow well with gladiolus?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Re: What can I plant with gladiolus?

I enjoy planting clumps of daffodils, glads, and day lilies together. All three usually will thrive on neglect and will give a sequence of bloom from before spring until mid summer. In very dry soil the daylilies and glads both enjoy lots of water, and the daffodils will tolerate it.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

imafan26
Mod

I have glads, pelargoniums, and cuphea planted between my roses. In fact a couple of the glads are blooming now with my amaryllis.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

NatureHillsNursery
Cool Member

I don't have any Glads right now, but for years I planted in the spring and dug in the fall. I had tons of them! Where I put them was in the vegetable garden. I don't know if that’s the “right” way or not, but they always did terrific, and didn’t seem to affect the vegetables at all either. I just planted them in rows right amid the veggies.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Edit on post above: Should have said [daffodils, irises, and day lilies. ] If planting glads in that grouping, would place them near the back. I like irises, but they require too much staking and support for my style of gardening. I do think that the four would go well together in a naturalized bed however.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”