ashlee34
Newly Registered

Bud-less lilacs!

My husband, unbeknownst to me, and with the best intentions, trimmed our lilac bushes yesterday (April 6th in Illinois). Before he trimmed them, they were filled with buds, now there is not a bud to be seen. I have no idea why he thought trimming the buds off in the spring was a good idea. Now they look like tiny little dead bushes. My question- because the buds have been trimmed off, and stubby little branches left, will they grow leaves this spring? (can that much growth occur in one season?) I'm not even hoping for flowers at this point- just leaves so that they don't look dead. Thanks!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Bud-less lilacs!

It definitely won't flower this year, but it may well be able to put out more leaves. They are pretty tough plants. An established lilac can come back from the roots if cut down to the ground.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Bloom? No. Survive? yes. Lilac look prettyiest when one third of the trunks get pruned out at a time.

The bloom is the terminal bud...
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

ashlee34
Newly Registered

Thanks for the replies. I'll miss the flowers, but am glad to know they will still grow leaves!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Tell him next year he can cut out one trunk down to ankle high. This will leave others (with bloom) and refresh the bush.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”