So, after 3 years I am really going to do it...I have a approx 40' x 60' surburban back yard that I want to plant three dwarf trees. I am considering this combination:
- one honey crisp apple
- one "cocktail' (e.g. 4in1) apple
- one plum tree (or perhaps one 4-in-one plum/peach/?/? tree)
Sunlight is ample, soil is a bit on the clay-ish side but I plan to dig out large area and mix in better soil. Drainage is good - there is a slight slope to the yard.
I am considering getting semidwarf (8-12') but some dwarf sizes look appealing....6-10'.
My questions are:
- What should I be aware of in planting the semidwarf trees and especially the 4in1 trees?
- A good source/supplier of these trees? - I really would like to get some trees that are 'well established' as I don't want to wait 5+ years for a root stock to develop. (this year would be ideal..1-2 yrs acceptable)
- Seems like none of these trees are 'self polinating'...should not be a problem withthe apple trees but I am wondering about the single or 4 in 1 fruit trees.
My thanks in advance for any advice!