Riving
Newly Registered

Grown carrot has red ring in core? + Pictures

Hi there everyone,

I'm fairly new to gardening. I've grown radishes regularly in the past and am currently growing a nice crop of broccoli and carrots.

I'm about 65 days in to this new crop of tender-sweets in my raised bed. I decided to pull out a few carrots that seemed to be growing too close to one another to prevent any issues over the next few weeks as I let them finish growing.

Upon examination of the carrots I pulled, two of them were completely fine. However the third was slightly darker in color not malformed, just darker orange throughout, and I noticed that the stems up to the leaves of this plant were purplish in color. I looked over the carrot to make sure there weren't any obvious diseases or anything of the sort and so I cut in to it just to be sure. Once I cut in to it I noticed that the outside flesh of the carrot was the deeper orange color while the core had a uniform red ring with a small orange center. This coloring is throughout the carrot fading until nearly becoming uniform orange at the bottom.

(I've added pictures of both the root and the stems/leaves)

Is there anything wrong with this carrot that I should be concerned about that needs me to go investigating the rest of what I'm growing?

Or is this completely normal and I'm just being worrisome for no reason?

In either case thank you so much for the help!
Attachments
Carrot greens, right of picture is top of plant.
Carrot greens, right of picture is top of plant.
IMG_20140108_213436.jpg (28.55 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Stem of carrot plant.
Stem of carrot plant.
Normal carrot-left of picture, strange carrot center-middle of picture, strange carrot top of root -right of picture.
Normal carrot-left of picture, strange carrot center-middle of picture, strange carrot top of root -right of picture.
IMG_20140108_213412.jpg (16.23 KiB) Viewed 739 times

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Grown carrot has red ring in core? + Pictures

I think you have nothing to worry about. Considering the thousands of carrot seeds produced by the seed producer, it is not strange at all to see a color variation.
Since you have already pulled and cut up the different carrot, it won't be reproducing.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”