bkneeland
Newly Registered

Sweet corn question

Near the ground around the stalk of the corn there appears to be small roots growning. They are about 1" from the ground, should these be covered with dirt or do they serve some other purpose and need to have some sun and air?

lillgardnr

im new to growing corn as well, ...but i would think they should be covered. it will be interesting to hear what others have to say... :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D

Actually they should not be covered up. They will just produce more above ground if you do. They are prop roots. Quite a few tall growing monocots (sheathlike plants) do this to support themselves.

lillgardnr

wow...how neat! learn something new each day.....makes me want to run out in the garden and see if i can find any :lol: this is why i love this site....

Jess
Greener Thumb

lillgardnr wrote:wow...how neat! learn something new each day.....makes me want to run out in the garden and see if I can find any :lol: this is why I love this site....
:lol: I am not as clever as I sound. I did this on some Purple Majesty millet once when I worked at a nursery. Covered them up...back they came. Did it again...bigger pot this time...back they came. A customer saw me doing it for the third time and told me what I have just told you.

bkneeland
Newly Registered

:D thanks for the help.....probably not the last time

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”