badger
Newly Registered

Ill Dwarf Scots Pine

I repotted a 3 years old Dwarf Scots Pine in the spring. I noticed then that the candles did not seem to be developing and since repotting the needles have become increasingly brown.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be?

Gnome
Mod

Badger,

welcome to the forum and sorry to hear that you are having difficulties. It will be difficult to help you with the limited information that you have provided. Some things that might be relevant would be: How long have you owned the tree and is this the first time you re-potted it? What was the condition of the medium and roots when you did re-pot? What type of medium is it potted in now? Does it drain freely? Is the medium soggy? Where are you located? How is the tree located, full sun or part shade? Have you fertilized it in the past, if so how often? Has anything changed this year as opposed to last?

I think you get the idea. Pictures would really help too. But, and here's the hard part, from the description you gave it does not sound good. If the candles have not elongated by now then there is a good chance that they are not going to. I have some Scots Pines that I started from seed last year and the central candle on the more vigorous ones are several inches long by now.

I understand that you wish to determine what the problem is but we would only be guessing and it is probably a moot point anyway, sorry. Do you have any other trees that you can focus on? I lose/give up on trees every year, find something else and move on.

Norm

badger
Newly Registered

You are right Gnome, the Pine is no more. I had the tree from a seedling and repotted it in Kyodama this Spring. I think it was probably on it's way out then as the candles weren't right. The tree was kept in full sun in Southern England and had been doing well until last winter, which was warm & wet.

I scratched at the trunk yesterday and found there was no life showing and the areas around the candles seemed rotten.

I have also lost a Chinese Flowering Quince that I had been training from a seedling this year, so not a good year to be a tree in my care !

Gnome
Mod

Badger,
so not a good year to be a tree in my care !
Seedlings can be problematic especially if you are only growing one or two, I always start with as many as I can knowing that I will lose many of them over the years. Don't give up, everyone who is interested in growing bonsai has failures. I'm having a rough time with Beeches and I kill every Azalea I touch, although I think I am getting a handle on that one.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”