Bworms1980
Newly Registered

Very bad 2nd year of vegetable gardening. Any suggestions?

Last May I started gardening. I am doing this in large containers. Cucumbers died quickly after I got about 4 cukes from plant. Peppers and Tomato plants lasted til I gave them away to my neighbor this March. :D
However this year everything is going badly and don't know what to do. I have planted determinate tomato, 2 indeterminate tomotos, bell peppers, Bush type cucumbers and sunflowers.

Both indeterminate tomatoe plants started out well and now that tomatoes are forming on them they are doing bad. The leaves starting with the oldest 2 at the bottom began to turn yellow, brown then dry up and die.

The bottom leaves on the peppers are starting to turn yellow and fall off.
Out of nowhere 2 days ago my cucumber leaves turned yellow a bit then fully yellow now a really light yellow and are browning up, wilting and dying.

The bottom sunflower seeds are also turning yellow.
and the determinate tomatoe plant which is full of big tomatoes, now the leaves are rapidly turning yellow all over the plant and the biggest tomatoe that I thought should have ripened hasn't even begun yet and its been about that size for a month now but green so is all the rest of the tomatoes.

The only different thing I did this year that I didn't do last year is I mixed the soil myself and I think I shouldn't have. I thought the pots weren't draining cause holes weren't enough but when I made a larger whole I realized that I must have put in too much peat moss, the soil is just soaking wet like a sponge and not drying out. Even if I wait a week or more with no water its still soaking wet. I think this is all the pots. I don't know what to do. I thought it was iron deficiency but now I'm wondering if its the water logging of the roots. Plus somewhere I read it could be VF some sort of disease? I'm tossing the 2 indeterminate tomotoes and replanting with store bought potting mix for now til I learn more about doing it myself. I'm going to let the cuke plant produce til it dies, which should be any day now and I haven't gotten 1 cuke this season :roll: . But don't know what to do about the peppers. Theres about 10 of them in that large pot and there are peppers coming in and I don't know if I should just leave it the way it is or remove them and replant in better soil. Any help would be appreciated.

Bworms1980
Newly Registered

here are some pictures of the plant problems. Go to plant disease folder

https://marshasgarden.myphotoalbum.com

NZG

This would suggest to me there is a problem within your soil, since the problem isn't isolated to 1 species of plant, but rather a selection.

How are you soil ph levels looking?

Also, are they getting enough water and sunlight?

How old are the plants which this problem(s) are happening to?

Try giving them some epsom salts to boots the mag levels in the soil, which helps to produce green leaves.

NZG

Oops sorry forgot to add that your problem is most likely Late Blight - which you need to give something like Champion Copper or Bravo (spray).

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Epsom salt additions will also help with the late blight; add bone meal as well to facilitate calcium uptake...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”